Waypoint downloading...which application?

mossycup

I am using a Garmin Legend Cx with City Navigator NA and have been entering coords. and waypoint I.D.s into the program manually. I then xfer them to the GPS unit and go.

Today I put in for a premium membership for map access, etc. and would also like to start downloading the waypoint info in a more convenient manner, but since I'm somewhat of a doofus about computers and software I have absolutely no idea of which application to download for use with the mapsource program I'm using.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

mossycup

I use GSAK (gsak.net) for organizing waypoints and setting up groups to send to the GPSr. There are other applications out there, but many people use GSAK with good results. There is a bit of a learning curve, but Clyde has excellent help screens and there is a forum there that will help with other questions.

Set up a pocket query. When you get it, save the attached .zip file, and note carefully where you saved it. Open GSAK, have it open the .zip file, and you'll see the caches listed. Attach your GPS to your computer, configure GSAK to talk to it via the GPS menu selection, and then via the same menu tell GSAK to send the caches to your GPS. Done. Once you get GSAK configured for your GPS, you don't have to do it again - just open the pocket query and send to the GPS. You don't need MapSource. If you really want to use MapSource, then unzip the pocket query and open it with Mapsource, tell it you have a .gpx file for it.

Edited by NightPilot

Since you are a Garmin user, the simplest approach would be to unzip the .gpx file, then start MapSource, and open the file in MapSource (make sure you have the latest version).

This approach does not let you filter the caches you got in the pocket query. They all just get dumped into MapSource. From there, you can download them into your GPS receiver.

If you want to edit the waypoint symbol to a closed treasure chest to use your Legend's Geocaching mode, it is probably easier to do in EasyGPS than in MapSource.

If you want to filter, sort and otherwise slice and dice the waypoints you get, GSAK is the way to go.

Edited by Sputnik 57

Everybody keeps saying that GSAK is difficult to use, but I don't agree. True, it can take awhile to learn how to use everything it offers, but if you just want to load .gpx files and send them to your GPS and perhaps Cachemate, it's as simple as any Windows program you'll ever see. IMO, it's easier to use for simple stuff than EasyGPS, but when you want more done, it will do more. You don't have to use the more esoteric functions unless you want to.

Newbie here -

do I have to be a Premium member to get waypoint files?

I am a new member - (not premium that I know of)

I signed in, went to desired cache listing, hit the waypoint link - nothing happened. no error, nothing.

how the heck I get the info into my Garmin is another issue, but lets start with the acquisition... thanks....

I started out using EasyGPS, but found myself wanting more options. I then turned to GSAK. I at first was a little overwhelmed but I kept looking for info and found some good instructions that should get you going in the right direction for using GSAK.

http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=...amp;#entry12477

I still have a lot to learn about GSAK but I would never go back to EasyGPS, GSAK has changed Geocaching for me for the better.