Buying a new GPS

mikeymikemike

After using google earth to do some geocaching Im ready to buy a gps for the first time. I have borrowed a few friends to use for spedometer calibration on the 4 wheeler and once for geocaching to pinpoint a site. My main uses would be for traveling highway and Minneapolis, StPaul city area mostly MN, use on 4 wheeler rides, and geocaching. The model Im looking at the most is the Magellan Explorist XL. Can anyone guide me on what to get? Im open to Garmin too, Im just not sure which model would be the best for my uses. Im looking at spending around $300 to $400 for a unit. Sorry if this has been asked before but any help will be apreciated. Thanks.

The Garmin Legend series seems to be a Geocaching staple. I personally have no experience with it so I can't really comment on it. You really can't go wrong with either a Garmin or a Magellan. I found my first cache with a Garmin eMap, a dreadfully bad GPS unit to take geocaching, haha. Didn't get squat for signal under trees. I upgraded to a Magellan SporTrak and have been using that since and it has proven reliable. It doesn't have a map or anything, it's just a baseline unit, but since I only use it to geocache, it suits me fine.

I would recomend the Garmin products. A little history I have 3 Garmin units 1 Map 60cs, 1 etrex venture, 1 GPS V, I also have several friends who use Garmin products as well. Like you I am from Minnesota I use the map 60cs in car and geocaching I use the venture on the 4 wheeler and geocaching and the GPS V is my back up unit and the one my 11yr old daughter uses. The Venture gets abused on the quad , it has seen many a days nights out in the Minnesota weather sun,rain,snow,mud you name it its been in it, it has been washed on the quad with the power washer and still works like new. The maping software for the map 60CS is second to none and works perfect here in MN, also in the other states I have visited. One time in the last 5 years have I had to contact Garmin Tec Info and they Emailed me back the correct info in less than 30 min. Im sold on Garmin products, the end choice is yours do a little research and find what best for you. PS if your ever caching in the Little Falls MN 56345 area email me if you want a caching partner for the day..

Garmin products are overwhelming the receiver of choice for geocachers. Having said that, I will tell you I own a Magellan Meridian.

I too have been been looking to buy a new receiver. I simply want a color screen. Since you inquired about the Explorist XL, I will tell that my research on the internet shows that the base map on the XL has problems. There is a user group at Yahoo that has good info. In a nutshell, the basemap is missing some key items. BUT, because of one person, (not me) Magellan is now aware of this.

At a recent coffee event, I got to see and hold both a Garmin 60 CSX and and Explorist XL and Explorist 600. The 600 was just to small for me, I need glasses now to see up close. But it is very portable. The XL was very nice, thought it is heavy. The screen on the 60csx was sized between the two and it is lighter in weight than the XL.

The thing you also need to consider is the map programs you buy from either company. I think I have read enough to know that either company offers very good maping programs.

As to product support, I have read complaints and kudos for both companies.

Go to a local event yourself and talk to other cachers and see both products.

Garmin products are overwhelming the receiver of choice for geocachers. Having said that, I will tell you I own a Magellan Meridian.

I too have been been looking to buy a new receiver. I simply want a color screen. Since you inquired about the Explorist XL, I will tell that my research on the internet shows that the base map on the XL has problems. There is a user group at Yahoo that has good info. In a nutshell, the basemap is missing some key items. BUT, because of one person, (not me) Magellan is now aware of this.

At a recent coffee event, I got to see and hold both a Garmin 60 CSX and and Explorist XL and Explorist 600. The 600 was just to small for me, I need glasses now to see up close. But it is very portable. The XL was very nice, thought it is heavy. The screen on the 60csx was sized between the two and it is lighter in weight than the XL.

The thing you also need to consider is the map programs you buy from either company. I think I have read enough to know that either company offers very good maping programs.

As to product support, I have read complaints and kudos for both companies.

Go to a local event yourself and talk to other cachers and see both products.

I have experience with both Garmin and Magellan. Both are good. I have been using an eXplorist 210 for geocaching until I bought a Garmin 60cx last week. The Garmin has many more options and is in your pricerange. I would recommend this if using it for highway use. The eXplorist is great for geocaching and has an easy file management system. I dont think you will go wrong with either brand, although I do prefer my new 60cx over the eXplorist 210. But the 210 and the 60cx are in to separate price categories.

JTA