Bug drops. Why do people do this?

Goudacat

We are fairly new to geocaching, and we have noticed a geocaching behavior that we don't understand. Cachers visit several caches, collecting TBs and geocoins, then they drop all the travlers into one cache. Sometimes this cache already has many trackables sitting in it. It seems like this behavior just encourages the TBs to sit, especially when geocaching protocal encourages an equal exchange.

Why do people do this?

Is it bad to trade them all for one in your inventory so they can be redistributed individualy into caches that have no TBs?

Does anybody specify that their TBs cannot go into caches with other TBs?

Thanks

Goudacat

We are fairly new to geocaching, and we have noticed a geocaching behavior that we don't understand. Cachers visit several caches, collecting TBs and geocoins, then they drop all the travlers into one cache. Sometimes this cache already has many trackables sitting in it.

Is the cache in question a travel bug hotel? That is a cache which is generally easily accessed by visitors and so is used as a sort of a collection point where bugs can be easily retrieved and taken out of the area if this is inaccordance with their objectives?

It seems like this behavior just encourages the TBs to sit, especially when geocaching protocal encourages an equal exchange.

Just a point of clarification here. Trackables (bugs and coins released to travel) are not subject to the exchange protocal. They should be retrieved and moved on as per thier objectives.

Is it bad to trade them all for one in your inventory so they can be redistributed individualy into caches that have no TBs?

Not at all as long as you consider and take on board the trackables objectives.

Some do. I personally do state that I don't want my trackables to go to Travel Bug Hotels.

Hope this helps.

Andrew

Some do. I personally do state that I don't want my trackables to go to Travel Bug Hotels.

This struck me as funny, I was wondering how many of your reasons for doing this match their reasons for being concerned about a bunch of TBs in one cache.

---

Yes, ideally the bugs should be distributed throughout several caches. And you can do so provided you are assisting the bugs towards its goal. There are conveniences dropping a bunch of bugs in one cache but it does add to the risk, such as several bugs being lost at once if the cache is muggled and people being reluctant to take more then one or two at a time causing bugs to sit longer. (of course some will argue that making several bugs available actually helps bugs move since people will know one will be there for them to move yadda, yadda, yadda.)

This struck me as funny, I was wondering how many of your reasons for doing this match their reasons for being concerned about a bunch of TBs in one cache.

I am sorry I don't get the point you are making. I was trying to answer the OP's question rather than make a judgement call on the value or otherwise of Travel Bug hotels.

I personally don't want my trackables going to them, but I accept others don't mind and do use the local one here when bugs want to go east or overseas and I can't get to the Stargate. I try to let the trackables objectives determine where I place it.

Regards

Andrew