GPSMAP 60CX Cant Find Addresses

Jeepsrock

I just got this GPS (60cx) device and loaded its drivers and software on my PC. I am using metroguide USA ver3 and mapsourcev6 (mg-4). I have successfully downloaded a portion of CA to the GPS unit but cant seem to find addresses. I can find them within the software but for some reason no matter how i try it, i cant find the addresses within the unit itself. Is this because the software is a bit old ?

Any help would be appreciated for a newbie.

THanks

Pete

I just got this GPS (60cx) device and loaded its drivers and software on my PC. I am using metroguide USA ver3 and mapsourcev6 (mg-4). I have successfully downloaded a portion of CA to the GPS unit but cant seem to find addresses. I can find them within the software but for some reason no matter how i try it, i cant find the addresses within the unit itself. Is this because the software is a bit old ?

Any help would be appreciated for a newbie.

THanks

Pete

Did you use the MapSource program to load the maps to your unit, or did you use third-party software? It is possible to load Garmin map data to units using 3rd-party software to send the routing data in MetroGuide maps to autorouting GPSrs. Doing this somehow strips the unit's ability to search for addresses.

Another possibility is that the MetroGuide maps might be hidden...

See #9 in the MAPS section of Sputnik 57's Frequently Asked Questions about Garmin Map60CS (and Similar) GPS Receivers.

The only other thought that comes to my mind is that the map data is not being transferred to the unit. Check out GARMIN'S FREE MAPSOURCE TUTORIAL.

I did use the mapsource manager software to send the maps to my gps unit. I selected the area i wanted (Los angeles and the valley CA) using the yellow tool which made them purple/pink on the software. After i finished making my selction the territories were added to the left side list. I downloaded them to my gps which took about 10 or so minutes (58mbs).

If for example i try to find the staples center which has an address of 1111 Figueroa St.

I click find- address-3 fields to fill (number, st name, city).

For number i enter "1111"

For St name i enter "Figueroa"

Right after i enter figueroa it brings up 1 match as

30300 figueroa St

Val Verde, CA 91384

And further entering the city as Los angeles, CA makes the matches list goes to Zero.

This seems to occur with almost any address i enter i have found a few address but maybe 1 in 20.

I have read the link you suggested to make sure the maps are selected and defaulted which i have done. I have also re-sent the maps to the GPS with the same results and i ahve made sure the autoroute tab was checked?

Thanks

pete

Edited by Jeepsrock

I did use the mapsource manager software to send the maps to my gps unit. I selected the area i wanted (Los angeles and the valley CA) using the yellow tool which made them purple/pink on the software. After i finished making my selction the territories were added to the left side list. I downloaded them to my gps which took about 10 or so minutes (58mbs).

If for example i try to find the staples center which has an address of 1111 Figueroa St.

I click find- address-3 fields to fill (number, st name, city).

For number i enter "1111"

For St name i enter "Figueroa"

Right after i enter figueroa it brings up 1 match as

30300 figueroa St

Val Verde, CA 91384

And further entering the city as Los angeles, CA makes the matches list goes to Zero.

This seems to occur with almost any address i enter i have found a few address but maybe 1 in 20.

I have read the link you suggested to make sure the maps are selected and defaulted which i have done. I have also re-sent the maps to the GPS with the same results and i ahve made sure the autoroute tab was checked?

Thanks

pete

Hi from Wales,

I have MetroGuide NA v7 on my PC and 60CSX [not that I have ever been to your Country-but my son visits Simi Valley on business and sends me his tracks!]

On both I can find:-

Staples Center

1111 S Figueroa St

Los Angeles, CA 90015

213-742-7300

Your MetroGuide seems old [v3] my v7 was new in 2006 but was replaced by v8 recently!

So it may be your MetroGuide rather than your unit!

I use SendMap to give me full AutoRouting and Indexing with MetroGuide.

Edited by strumble

Did you use the MapSource program to load the maps to your unit, or did you use third-party software? It is possible to load Garmin map data to units using 3rd-party software to send the routing data in MetroGuide maps to autorouting GPSrs. Doing this somehow strips the unit's ability to search for addresses.

Right. The "building indexes" function that mapsource usually handles is not done by sendmap, and AFAIK the sendmap author has no immediate plans to add it.

So I just run mine without the indices (and therefore the inability to do address lookups). There are ways around it but the workarounds do not work in my peculiar setup.

Come to think of it, I think there is some sort of problem with the newer X-unit handhelds and the older versions of map software. I think IIRC the specific problem was with an older version of City Select, but SOMETHING wasn't working the way it should and we figured out that users who were having the problem were all using older versions of map software. CLICK HERE to view the thread.

It is NOT the same problem you're having, but it does go to show that the cause of your problem could be older data used with a newer unit.

Well then i guess i should invest in the new ver8 software.

What exactly is the difference between the regular and NT versions of the ver8 city navigator software, they seem to be the same price ? From my reading it seems the map portions are smaller on NT but other than that they are the same , is this true or is there more to it ?

thanks

pete

Well then i guess i should invest in the new ver8 software.

What exactly is the difference between the regular and NT versions of the ver8 city navigator software, they seem to be the same price ? From my reading it seems the map portions are smaller on NT but other than that they are the same , is this true or is there more to it ?

thanks

pete

The data is identical. The only difference is the compression scheme.

Thanks for those who helped me with the map address problem.

For those who are interested , I ordered and received city navigator 8 the other day and after loading the maps onto my 60cx , the address function worked like a charm. This proves that the older metroguide maps do not work nicely with the newer gps units.

Thanks

pete