eXplorist 500 charger

jsolsona

I recently bought a eXplorist 500 LE that comes without the charger. I ordered one from Magellan but who knows when it'll arrive and I'm leaving on a trip very soon.

I looked all over Vancouver for the charger but nobody seems to carry them. Is there any other charger that can be used instead?

Or could any charger do? (as long as the voltage, etc is the same?) and if so.. what would that be?

Thanks

javier

I would expect that anything with the right polarity and voltage would work...I wonder is one of those universal jobbies from Radio Shack would work...

Some people have bought the Motorola batteries mentioned in the FAQs in my sig line, and also obtained rechargers for the batteries themselves. One still has to swap batteries in and out with that approach, but it is one way to go.

If you have an LE, they're not going to give you a charger. They don't want to take the chance some dimwit will try to charge alkaline AAAs in the receiver.

If you purchased the lithium ion battery pack but don't have the AC adapter, you have two ways to charge it:

1. Connect the USB data cable to your eXplorist and plug it into your PC and leave the GPSr off. The battery will draw power from the USB port and will charge. The PC must be on for this to work.

2. Purchase a PSP power adapter. Some users have verified a PSP adapter from Wal-Mart will work with the eXplorist. Embra mentions one here.

I have the psp adapter and also bought a 110 adapter from wally world, brand name (powerline universal A/C adapter 3-12 volts DC/600 ma) set it for 4.5 volts. it comes with a variety of end plugs for different uses,also unplug it when finished charging my first one died because I left it plugged in, either that or it was defective?

Anyway both units work very well.

Yeah I bought the LE but it did come with one lithium battery (no charger though.. dunno why it came with the battery, but I'm not complaining) so I've been charging it via the USB but it took almost 24 hours to fully charge.

Thanks.. I'll look into the A/C adapter 3-12 volts DC/600 ma

Javier

How does the GPSr know when the batteries are charged and stop charging them?

I have a 500LE and am using the battery adapter with NiMH batteries. If I use the USB cable to recharge them, how does the unit know when to stop?

Does it work the same as the LiIon battery?

And to confirm, a standard PSP (Play Station Portable) AC or DC adapter will work OK?

It's annoying to take the batteries out to recharge, so it would be nice if I could charge them through USB or AC/DC adapter.

Thanks

How does the GPSr know when the batteries are charged and stop charging them?

I have a 500LE and am using the battery adapter with NiMH batteries. If I use the USB cable to recharge them, how does the unit know when to stop?

Does it work the same as the LiIon battery?

And to confirm, a standard PSP (Play Station Portable) AC or DC adapter will work OK?

It's annoying to take the batteries out to recharge, so it would be nice if I could charge them through USB or AC/DC adapter.

The unit has circuitry to know when to charge the Li-Ion battery and when to stop. This circuitry is disabled with the use of the battery clip (whether you have rechargeable NiMH or non-rechargeable alkelines in there). You have to get a Li-Ion battery to avoid battery swapping (which I agree is a royal PITA).

If you look in the FAQs in my sig line, you can find information about inexpensive compatible Li-Ion batteries that are much less than the official Magellan issue.

Edited by embra

Thanks. I've been doing research on the LiIon batteries and have found that FAQ to be quite helpful.

At first I though I'd be content swapping batteries. Not so. I orderd the $20 kit from Mageallan (battery & AC charger), but it's on back order with no timeline.

My dad will be opening his kit for Christmas. I hope to have a plan by then. ;-)

Thanks

I can't believe that Magellan would sell a GPS and battery without a charger! I was glad to read that if I leave my GPS plugged into the USB port that would charge it, because I was thinking of jerry rigging up an old charger that had the right voltage but I was afraid that I might get the + or - reversed and something unfortunate :P might happen! :D

I just received 2 Motorola batteries and they seem to fit like a glove. Only thing for a charger I could find around the house was an old Casio dig. camera charger (5.3v 650ma), I plugged it in (crossing my fingers) and it states that it's charging. I'm no elec. wiz, but I hope it works. Universal cellphone battery charger i ordered from ebay came broken out of the box. Oh well, it was $0.49 + s/h. Now where's that glue?

I can't believe that Magellan would sell a GPS and battery without a charger! I was glad to read that if I leave my GPS plugged into the USB port that would charge it, because I was thinking of jerry rigging up an old charger that had the right voltage but I was afraid that I might get the + or - reversed and something unfortunate :P might happen! :D

The 500LE was meant to come with the AAA adapter and not charge the batteries in the unit. You either use alkalines or NimH AAAs that you remove and recharge in another charger. The Li-ion batteries were meant to charge inside the unit, just like your cell phone. It is actually a cell phone battery with the same voltage and charges similarly to your cell phone.

Before trying different chargers/adapters, please check the polarity (+ center) of the plug. 5.3v is fine, but do not plug it in and cross your fingers. Use your Digital VOM ..... !

I have a question, i just bought the 500le and it came with the aaa adapter i was looking at the battery and charger but i can not see where you plug the charger in to the 500le it doesn't even show in the manual.

Its screws into the back.

You can pick this up. http://cgi.ebay.com/ALLTEL-MOTOROLA-T720c-...=item3ca63a7b3f

Its the same battery and you can use the phone to charge the battery at home and in the car. Also you can pick up extra batteries for like $4 here

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-OEM-MOTOROLA-P270c...=item4a98565479

I picked up a few for my 600 and they worked fine.

Its the same battery and you can use the phone to charge the battery at home and in the car. Also you can pick up extra batteries for like $4 here

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-OEM-MOTOROLA-P270c...=item4a98565479

I picked up a few for my 600 and they worked fine.

Do you have any idea how long they last?

I was getting 8-12 from a fully charged out battery in my 600 with the compass off.