FileMaker template for benchmark recoveries?

Wintertime

I'm trying to get my recoveries better organized. Currently, I record local ones simply by making a note on a printout of the station's datasheet. But for all my Yosemite stuff, I've made a Microsoft Word file that contains the mark's designation, PID (if any), page number on the USGS printouts I have, coordinates that I took when I found it, miscellaneous notes, etc.

That's been working pretty well, and being in Word, I know that I can send it to other people and they'll be able to read it on their computers. But obviously, it isn't very sophisticated. Therefore, I'm thinking of setting up a FileMaker database.

I just searched the Groundspeak forums and found some discussions about people creating FM databases for importing GPX files and such. I don't need anything like that. I'll be entering notes manually. I looked around the FM website, but oddly, they don't seem to offer a template for benchmark recoveries. :) I didn't find anything for geocaching, either. I've been trying to think of what sort of template might be similar enough to benchmark hunting that I could adapt it instead of starting from scratch.

Any ideas?

Patty

We use a Filemaker database for our benchmark finds. The form needs a little tweaking, as for example in resetting tab order, so it's not really in shape for sending out. But we figured out what data sheet info we wanted on it, and added a comment box and four photo boxes. We usually don't have more than two photos, but once in a while something comes up, and the form has to be ready for it. We set up the form so that in form view the whole thing is visible in a laptop screen.

We just entered the form-design page and went through a few data sheets. We're still learning the program, so many of its capabilities remain for us to discover.

A potential issue is file size, we guess, but we have just over 200 records in just under 300 mb.

I use GSAK and GPSTrackmaker in combo.

You can create your file manually or download loc or gpx files.

I then export the file from GSAK To Microsoft Streets and trips as a csv file(save in data file(Streets)).

This file can be opened(import data in Streets and trips and if you have a laptop and a GPS to hook to it you can interface the maps points an gps to where you are currently.

If not you can view all your points on the map.

You have to hand edit loc files but it looks like you are doing that anyway.

Notes can also be added to all the above mentioned.

Links to url,size,type,etc.

I am not so computer literate and it is hard to explain all them clicks properly.

In the GPStrackMaker you can open your file in Google Earth,TopozoneTtiger maps,Microsoft,ect.

I have thousands in there with no problems yet.

It is just keeping it all updated.

We use a Filemaker database for our benchmark finds. The form needs a little tweaking, as for example in resetting tab order, so it's not really in shape for sending out.

Any chance I could change your mind about that? :-) I wouldn't mind tweaking the tab order myself. I just want some idea of what's working for other people. Love your idea of having a couple of photo fields! That's just the sort of thing I wouldn't have thought of, since I rarely use FileMaker.

Patty

Any OpenOffice users here?

Like BuckBrooke, I use a spreadsheet. It's easy, but it's not really the right tool as I move toward 2000 records (finds, not found, notes, plus a separate section for wrong-county marks).

I don't have any significant database experience, and I've played around with OpenOffice, but not enough to really get anywhere (with confidence that I won't delete anything). But I would like to migrate to a proper database at some point.

Any thoughts?

-Art-

Using a dated database program here called Alpha 5. Currently I use 13 fields for each BM found, and use drop-down selectable menus for several of the fields. The data is importable into Excel with just a couple of mouse clicks, and can be saved as a .csv file if needed. It can be indexed on multiple fields for searching.

Art,

I have played with some features of OpenOffice off and on, but never really delved deeply into the database part of it. It is harder (less intuitive) than Access but very powerful once you get the hang of it. I think it should be possible to import spreadsheet data into it at some point. If you send me a subset of your data I can play around with it for a bit and see what I can come up with.

One benefit of using OO is that if we create something that is usable by others they can get the program for free.

Wintertime -

Perhaps I'm being stupid here but I don't understand the use of databases to solve this goal:

I'm trying to get my recoveries better organized.
If you're on the main Geocaching page and click on "MY ACCOUNT", then click on "Benchmarks", then perhaps on "Found it", there will be a list of your recoveries.

Or are you talking about recoveries you've made but not yet logged so that if you had a database you could log them easier?

GrizzFlyer:

I also use Alpha 5 (for other things) and like it. Being an old DBase IV user, it feels familiar in some ways (although much improved). One of these days, I might put in benchmarks, but at the moment the main use is for my slighty out of date wine collection, and Christmas Card addresses....

Perhaps I'm being stupid here but I don't understand the use of databases to solve this goal:

I'm trying to get my recoveries better organized.
If you're on the main Geocaching page and click on "MY ACCOUNT", then click on "Benchmarks", then perhaps on "Found it", there will be a list of your recoveries.

I'd be surprised if even half of the benchmarks I've recovered are listed on Geocaching.com! Many of them aren't even in the NGS database. Besides, it isn't just "Found" or "Not Found." As I mentioned in my initial posting, I have lots of other information about each one. My Word file is okay, but putting all the information into FileMaker would give me much better search and organizing capabilities, and also allow me to add photos, scans, etc. that are possible but more difficult in Word. (And would make for a very large Word file.)

Patty