Rules for Distance

icefall5

What are the distance rules for... NOTE: All listed as "Stage of a multi" is other than stage 1.

A)Stage of a multi to a traditional cache, if the traditional was there first?

B)Traditional cache to stage of a multi, if the stage was there first?

C)One stage of a multi to stage of a separate multi?

D)One stage of a multi to another stage of the same multi?

Thanks!

What are the distance rules for... NOTE: All listed as "Stage of a multi" is other than stage 1.

A)Stage of a multi to a traditional cache, if the traditional was there first?

B)Traditional cache to stage of a multi, if the stage was there first?

C)One stage of a multi to stage of a separate multi?

D)One stage of a multi to another stage of the same multi?

Thanks!

A - 528 feet

B - 528 feet

C - 528 feet

D - No Rule

Course, I have seen caches get placed inside the 528' zone, and then when the geocacher questions it he is told it is a "gray area" up to the reviewers discreation, once I replied to that, then the other cacher was asked to move or archive the cache. It eventually got moved with a comment from the reviewer "archieved due to conflict with other local geocacher" or something VERY close to that.

Just my .02

Cya on the trails,

Rusty

Course, I have seen caches get placed inside the 528' zone, and then when the geocacher questions it he is told it is a "gray area" up to the reviewers discreation...

It is a guideline, not a rule. Reviewers may give some leeway if there is a significant manmade or natural barrier between the caches or stages. A cliff, a divided superhighway, an unfordable river all MIGHT qualify.

The reasons behind the guideline are twofold. First, so geocachers don'taccidently mistake one cache for another. Second, to prevent oversaturation of an area. Most reviewers keep the latter in mind when considering whether or not to waive the 528 ft guideline. If the area is already cache dense, its much less likely that that any exceptions would be made.