Logging find as an individual AND a team?

Team_FussyPants

I was thinking of possibly starting a caching team here in my area mainly to place caches, but we would also be out hunting as well. So my question is this: Is is frowned upon to log the cache find under the team name and under your individual user name? I'm not all about numbers, but it is fun to keep track of how many caches I have found, so I'd like to keep my own personal find count. Plus later on if the team fizzles out, those finds wouldn't have to be transferred by back logging.

Logging finds as an individual and as a team is duplicating logs. I have seen too many log books or scrolls that are already running out of space.

What I would like to see is the feature where you can create/join a team and any caches you find while you are a member of that team get added to the teams finds count.

World Community Grid have an excellent team score model.

I would love to see a team loggin feature added to the website. Something where you can establish a team, select the members (or even check boxes to enable who was caching at that time). The log could look something like this:

Team XYX (Tom, Dick, Harry) found this cache on 1/5/07

Then, for example if you are caching without Tom one day it could read

Team XYZ (Dick, Harry) found this cache...

So Tom, Dick and Harry all had identical geocaching experiences? Perhaps that is possible if they are triplets.

Some of the best logs out there on the cache pages are from groups. Each person has their own take on the cache experience. The second to log builds upon his buddy's log, maybe poking fun at him. The log from the *last* guy in the group to spot the cache will read very differently from the logs written by the other guys who stood by and laughed at him. I would hate to see these fun logs replaced with generic team logs. I was very happy to read Jeremy's post yesterday, confirming that this will not happen.

As for logging in groups vs. individually, I don't have a problem with a team log plus logs from the individual team members who were participating on that hunt. Personally, my daughter logs her finds separately whenever she caches with me. Her find count is 500-something and nobody has ever complained about the "duplicate" logs, even though a lot of her logs simply say "I found this with my Daddy, thanks for the cache."

I don't think this is an issue for the paper logs. To save space and time, just sign the team name on my physical cache log, and then identify its members in the online log. Others will disagree strongly with this.

Edited by The Leprechauns