Is there a better word for discover?

ibycus

I've had this problem twice now since the discovered log was introduced. A user logs a travel bug as "Discovered" when they've retrieved it from the cache. I understand, and support the idea of a discovered log type (otherwise for starters events can get totally screwy with all the drop-retrieved going on), but there must be a better way to make people understand what the discovered log is to be used for.

Maybe an extra 'confirmation' page the first time you log a discovered log? Explaining that if you actually took the bug, you should log it as retrieved.

I think that the term being discovered is unfair! Its against the spirit of geocaching - getting out there and out and about and seeing, breathing and feeling the great outdoors! However, one cacher has gone one further and named his geocoin in a rather specific way!

Geocoin that does NOT want to be discovered!

Other than that, if the 'discovery' facility was going to be kept, I quite like the phrase 'touched'. It says what you've done on the tin, just enough for you to get the reference number and then you've placed it back. By being just one word, it also keeps the drop menu on the web interface clean.

Fondled.

Touched.

Groped.

I suggested Fingered when they were trying to name the 'discovered' option, but it was turned down.

Maybe we should go the other direction, leave 'discovered' alone, but get get 'retrieved' changed to something else like 'will move/plans to move'.

I've had this problem twice now since the discovered log was introduced. A user logs a travel bug as "Discovered" when they've retrieved it from the cache. I understand, and support the idea of a discovered log type (otherwise for starters events can get totally screwy with all the drop-retrieved going on), but there must be a better way to make people understand what the discovered log is to be used for.

Maybe an extra 'confirmation' page the first time you log a discovered log? Explaining that if you actually took the bug, you should log it as retrieved.

Ha! Thanks for the snort. Some travel bug owners expect cache owners to monitor their bug when it's in their cache and mark it missing if it is. This imposition is expected by more than a few TB owners (instead of TB owners monitoring their own bugs, or better still monitoring my cache). Anyway the discover option will lead to a lot more confusion as a bug is "missing" from a cache but apparently not really "missing".

I could see that, however the "plan to move" should be above 'discovered', so it's the first thing seen. Someone who's just starting will click the pulldown menu, see "discovered", click it, and the same problem happens anyway. I think the problem is that 'discovered' is the "first" item in the pulldown menu list for a TB. That should somehow be changed to the last option. That'd cut down on the problem significantly, I'd think.

There were lots of possibilities suggested in the "Icon Swap Meets, how to do this better" thread, where the concept was first discussed. I agree that many of them would have been much less confusing than the unfortunate choice of "Discovered".

(After the change was implemented, in this post Jeremy said that although the term "spotted" seemed to be favorite choice among those who expressed an opinion in the previously linked thread, he preferred "discovered".)

There were lots of possibilities suggested in the "Icon Swap Meets, how to do this better" thread, where the concept was first discussed. I agree that many of them would have been much less confusing than the unfortunate choice of "Discovered".

(After the change was implemented, in this post Jeremy said that although the term "spotted" seemed to be favorite choice among those who expressed an opinion in the previously linked thread, he preferred "discovered".)

The only advantage I can see for "Discovered" is its a bit more 'buzzy', which is probably why the big cheese liked it. Problem is, lots of people don't know what it means.

I'm a big fan of Mushtang's suggestion ""Discovered, but did not take" or some variant thereof. Otherwise people may start saying "Where'd the discovered option go".

I don't think this problem will go away either, as its newbies making the mistake, and as we all know, there's no shortage of newbies. Something needs to be done to clarify the options.

Travel bugs are meant to travel. Lose the Discover option, leave it for coins.

Just my opinion.

I like the option, since it tells me that my TBs are not MIA or AWOL. Actually I wrote in the description of one of my bugs to report it as discovered. It's a quite big TB, so it sometimes spends quite a while in a cache. Wish I added this request to the TB itself.

I think it's never a bad thing to have options like the Discovered-it. If you don't like it - don't use it.

GermanSailor

Travel bugs are meant to travel. Lose the Discover option, leave it for coins.

Just my opinion.

I like the option, since it tells me that my TBs are not MIA or AWOL. Actually I wrote in the description of one of my bugs to report it as discovered. It's a quite big TB, so it sometimes spends quite a while in a cache. Wish I added this request to the TB itself.

I think it's never a bad thing to have options like the Discovered-it. If you don't like it - don't use it.

GermanSailor

A nice note or even one sentence email could also tell you the TB is not missing.

If one likes the option or not isn't the point, having 'discover it' listed on top seems to interfer with travelers movement a bit. 1. because a bunch of people don't know that 'discover it' has nothing to do moving the item and that they need to grab/retrieve it to register the movments. And 2. because some people appear to have the notion that discovering items is preferred to actually moving them...