Pocket PC Mapping Software

supertbone

I am looking for mapping software for my Pocket PC that uses a format that GSAK can export too (preferably GPX). Topo would be great but not required. I want to be able to show maps of caches while out in the field. I have a 1GB SD card my pocket pc. Any recommendations would be great. Thanks!

Edited by supertbone

I use Mapopolis for voice and visual prompted road navigation as well as in the woods navigation. In the woods, the GPS page shows the current coordinates, distance to cache, compass rose, bearing arrow, altitude, etc. (Of course a regular gps in the woods is less prone to damage.) Mapopolis runs $80-100. you can try the program for free for 9 days. mapopolis.com

Add gpxtomaplet (free) and you can overlay all the cache icons over the Mapopolis street maps so you can see the caches as you drive arround. Then autonavigate from cache to cache and get immedate info like cache name, miles from home, cache type, D/T, container type, etc just by tapping the cache icon on the Mapopolis map. gpxtomaplet uses the gpx files created by GSAK. GSAK does not create the maplet directed. But the conversion takes about 5 seconds more. I then copy the maplet into my PPC memory card where the Mapopolis county street maps are located.

If you're interested in paperless caching, you can also copy the gpx file created by GSAK into the PPC memory card and then use gpxsonar.

I am looking for mapping software for my Pocket PC that uses a format that GSAK can export too (preferably GPX). Topo would be great but not required. I want to be able to show maps of caches while out in the field. I have a 1GB SD card my pocket pc. Any recommendations would be great. Thanks!

The DeLorme series of mapping products works quite well. The new (2007) StreetAtlas includes the Handheld version which allows exporting to Palms and PocketPCs. I also have TopoUSA which I can also send to Palms/PPCs. GSAK allows exporting to DeLorme format. Note also that the DeLorme products can directly import .GPX files.

MS Streets & Trips works well for urban areas. I use it to get an over view of all the caches and pick out which I'd like to hunt.

Backcountry Navigator (or some such similar sounding name) showed a lot of promis when I was beta testing it. I still haven't ponied up the money to buy it but I will when I get back into remote caching.

Utterly dissapointing was the National Geographic Topo for the Pocket PC. That one I did pay for...and should not have.

NG Topo is a great program. Pocket Topo is good but has one important limitation. The waypoints do not transfer into your PPC although routes, maps and notes do. (Regular NG Topo will transfer waypoints, routes etcf into your GPS hopwever, but not maps.)

If you want waypoints in your PPC, you have to manually convert them to a Note which gets transferred. Then you can Go To the Note in your PPC. For $25 for Pocket Topo, it's still worth it since you can transmit 24K topo maps into your PPC for real time display of your position. No GPS stores 24K maps except for a few National Park areas such as by Garmin. NG allows any 24K map to be stored in your PPC.

Edited by Alan2