down load caches to laptop

Ugly1

I am new to this I am a premium member. Is there any way to down load caches to my laptop? I know you can down load to palm pilots Etc. I am going to Arizona for a month and will not have internet down there so would like to group down load a few caches along with hints to my laptop so I have the hints. I have done it 1 at a time by cutting and pasting but this is slow. I am hoping there is a way to doad to laptop the same as to the gps only with full page with hints and coments as to those that found them.

I am new to this I am a premium member. Is there any way to down load caches to my laptop? I know you can down load to palm pilots Etc. I am going to Arizona for a month and will not have internet down there so would like to group down load a few caches along with hints to my laptop so I have the hints. I have done it 1 at a time by cutting and pasting but this is slow. I am hoping there is a way to doad to laptop the same as to the gps only with full page with hints and coments as to those that found them.

Use Pocket Queries to get the cache data. Then you can use Watcher or GSAK to view the data on your laptop.

As a premium member you can download caches via pocket queries from your "My Account page".

I use GSAK to manage the PQs on my laptop.

GSAK can load the caches to your GPSr if you have an interface between your laptop and your GPSr.

GSAK will also assist you into loading them into your Palm if you use Cachemate. I believe it will also load to another Palm Application. Personally I use GSAK to update my PQs, sent info to my GPS, Palm, Mapsource and to MS Streets & Trips. It is quite a good program. You can use it free with out any nag screens for 21 days, and if you like it it's really cheap to buy.

Joe

There is a nifty free simple program called Gpx2Html. It converts your gpx files that you get from your pocket query and provides html files (thus the name). Those files will open direct on your laptop.

Full cache descriptions and logs. All ready to reference at any time.

A file is also generated to quickly download all those caches to your Garmin or whatever.

wingryder

Just by going to several pages in geocache.com and selecting caches of interest (click down load box) then going to bottom off page and do download , this lets you download up to 20 caches per page...

IF you select caches on multiple pages it will create multiple files for caches for each single page so you will have multiple files...

You can use file merge utilities to bring all the small files into one big file....

Some thing I do is use EasyGPS to load each file (containing multiple caches) into my GPS, the GPS actually appends new cache information with the already existing one... I now can download the single large file in GPS to EasyGPS and edit what ever I want....

Its a little cumbersome as a work around but it does work...

Pocket queries may be great, but you have to be premium member ($$$) and for me I don't do enough caching to justify the additional cost...

Dale

Edited by Dale_Lynn

I think also, You're limited by the Laptop's battery life.. I could probably get away with carrying my Latitude C610, in a backpack, with a couple of mid sized 12V gel cells, and a mini inverter/adaptor. Drawback: pure weight! and even the gel cells don't hold a charge forever.

I've been using a couple of tools, on a laptop...

GPS Babel 1.3.1, Delorme Street Atlas 2006, Garmin ETrex (original yellow model)..

I download the .LOC file, send it through GPS Babel, import the .AN1 draw file into

Street Atlas, mark the location as a waypoint, exchange the data into the GPS, and

rely more on the GPS, than the mapping program. (Obvious, since the handheld GPS

is a lot more portable than the laptop. :blink: )

I imagine I could use the Delorme ET-20 GPS module on the laptop, but yet again,

this is one more draw of power for the laptop. :D

Gelfling6

Edited by gelfling6