What is this?

slippeddisk

Found this disk today near a railroad crossing. The only thing I can think of is a property corner mark of some sort. What do you think? Has anyone come across one before? I'm assuming the N Va is for Nothern Virginia.

slippeddisk

I didn't see a photo in the post... was there to be one?

I've run across this:

9ce855c4-abc0-4a34-aa0b-e71217a01c55.jpg

This also was near railroad tracks - at one of the "back" corners of a small power substation (PP&L is Pennsylvania Power & Light) - this disk appeared to be steel/iron & is "normal" (3.5") in size ...

No power station near this one, but maybe it's for Northern Virginia Power Co. I never heard of such a company but this looks quite old. Thanks I'll now look in another direction in my research.

slippeddisk

When I used to survey in Texas, some of the more-experienced surveyors told me that power comanies sometimes monument their larger power lines, especially those with the huge towers. I understand that nothing like that is nearby, but perhaps one used to be? Perhaps they have some sort of easement, or they own the land nearby for some reason?

There is a real good chance it is a benchmark from a private company like other people suggested. That is what I would guess, but it also looks like the abbreviation of a military unit during the civil war. I've seen these types of abbreviations during my genealogy research. Any chance it's that old ?