Geobuddy

I have GSAK and like that I have the ability, when transferring pocket queries to my unit, to put the cache name where the useless waypoint GC code usually goes and the hint in the note field. I have recently downloaded the trial version of Geobuddy. I love the ability to view caches with topo maps and aerial photos. In many cases, the aerial photos, although somewhat outdated, are more detailed than Google Earth. Viewing the caches on topo maps gives a whole new perspective and allows me to come up with a better plan of attack.

GSAK is so difficult and I really can't do anything without detailed instructions from somebody else where Geobuddy is much more intuitive. The only thing keeping me from buying the full version of Geobuddy and scrapping GSAK is that I can't figure out, with Geobuddy, how to get the Cache name into my unit where the GC code usually goes. I already tried Edit/Preferences/Geocaching ... and selected Geocache Name in the 1st Waypoint Data Field, but I am still getting the GC code when transferring pocket queries. This is why, thus far, I am still reluctantly sticking with GSAK.

Can somebody help?

What GPS model are you using?

Are you running GeoBuddy 2.04? There was a problem with earlier versions that caused the Geocaching Settings options to revert to the GCxxxx waypoint names when you closed the program.

http://www.geobuddy.com/latest.asp

I've been getting a ton of feedback on GeoBuddy (thanks, everyone!) and new features and improvements are being added every week. If there are other things that you'd like to see in GeoBuddy, please let me know.

Does GeoBuddy have a Home Lat/Lon so that you can tell how far from your location the cache is in miles? I can't seem to find it

I havn't seen a place to input "home" coordinates, but I have noticed that by double-clicking anywhere on the map (any version, topo, aerial, quick, or scanned) the rest of the caches' distance is recalculated to that point. I like that feature, but it would also be nice to have default home coordinates listed in the preferences somewhere for everytime you initially open the software and perhaps a button to reset it back to home after you are done using the double-click feature.

Does GeoBuddy have a Home Lat/Lon so that you can tell how far from your location the cache is in miles? I can't seem to find it

I havn't seen a place to input "home" coordinates, but I have noticed that by double-clicking anywhere on the map (any version, topo, aerial, quick, or scanned) the rest of the caches' distance is recalculated to that point. I like that feature, but it would also be nice to have default home coordinates listed in the preferences somewhere for everytime you initially open the software and perhaps a button to reset it back to home after you are done using the double-click feature.

I agree, I also like to be able to sort by distance

I've just uploaded GeoBuddy 2.05 to http://www.geobuddy.com/ - it should fix the problem that prevented the geocache name and hint from getting sent to your GPS. Thanks for pointing out the error!

GeoBuddy (as well as EasyGPS and ExpertGPS) use the concept of an Active Point - the point from which all distances and bearings are calculated. You can set this by right-clicking any object (waypoint, geocache, etc) and clicking Set Active Point.

There's a new feature in GeoBuddy that I've added specifically to address the "distance from Home" question. You can add any waypoint or geocache to the Favorites menu in GeoBuddy. The next time you want to go back to that point on the map, just select it from the Favorites list. (kinda like you'd use the Favorites or Bookmarks menu in your Web browser)

http://www.geobuddy.com

Thank you for your quick responses and super quick changes to the software. Just downloaded 2.05 and it works.

I CAN NOW KISS GSAK GOODBYE!

With respect to the other comment, I created a waypoint, called it home and set in the favorites. Thank you. I did notice, however, that the organize favorites command is still greyed out (meaning among other things that I can't delete any favorites or nest them) and that there is no command in the menu bar to create waypoints. It took me a minute to figure out to right click in the waypoint section of the screen to create one. That should be added in the menu bar as well.

In the tool bar, can we have another shape tool, not for the purpose of creating a route or tracks as the one already there, but to create a shape that can cut and paste to the clipboard?

AWESOME software, AWESOME support, a little pricey, but still AWESOME.

Thank you.

Organize Favorites is just a placeholder for now. I'll be implementing a way to rearrange and sort your favorite locations, much like Internet Explorer. If you hold Shift while selecting an item from the Favorites list, it will be removed from the list. (This is a temporary behavior until I get the Favorites feature completely implemented)

Function key F3 creates a new waypoint in EasyGPS, ExpertGPS, and GeoBuddy. I've added a twist to GeoBuddy that you may find useful. Lots of older caches list coordinates for parking, or other important waypoints, in the geocache description. If you select the coordinates in the Web browser in GeoBuddy, and click F3 to create a new waypoint, GeoBuddy will recognize the coordinates automatically.

I'm going to be adding some screen layout options to GeoBuddy, so let me know what kind of split screen and full screen views you'd like to see. For now, if you drag the vertical divider all the way to the right or left, you can make the geocache list or the map fullscreen. Double-clicking on a geocache or selecting it and right-clicking View on Map or View in List will let you quickly switch between a full-screen list view and a full-screen map view.

I'm going to be adding some screen layout options to GeoBuddy, so let me know what kind of split screen and full screen views you'd like to see. For now, if you drag the vertical divider all the way to the right or left, you can make the geocache list or the map fullscreen. Double-clicking on a geocache or selecting it and right-clicking View on Map or View in List will let you quickly switch between a full-screen list view and a full-screen map view.

I want to see tabs to switch full screen versions.

Yes, it would.

Other makers of commercial software have been asked to not use these forums as a support venue, so in the name of consistency, we should keep conversations of this type reeled in.

There are lots of shades of grey, but this conversation (as well as tangents of praise, feature requests, etc.) really should be directed to the vendor's support channel.

Well, as a user of Groundspeak, this is the first and only place I would look to find reviews and comments about the software. I understand the shades of gray issue regarding how much of the forum should be used by the vendor to rosolve issues.

However, I think the vendor is showing great customer service by reviewing forum discussions to assist in refining his product which helps all of us to better enjoy this great hobby.

Edited by Goldmag