Is never hiding fair?

SidAndBob

Sorry. I have 998 finds. There's no way I could maintain 99.8 caches! I've hidden twenty, and (IMHO) they are better than most.

And forcing a 1/100 ratio would be horribly cruel on the local cacher with 248 finds and 77 hides. You would make him find another 529 caches before he could hide any more?!? That's cruel to all us cachers who love his hides!

I think at least a 100:1 ratio should be enforced.

Personally, I think this is a terrible idea. There are enough lay mass micros in the world without forcing more on us. As it stands, most cachers hide something when they feel the time is right. Put the element of force into play, and you'll create resentment which will lead to some truly carpy hides. If this "rule" ever takes wing, expect the stock prices to go up for the companies that make hide-a-keys.

Uh, Harry? Is your math right? My mental calculator is a bit dusty, but it seems your figuring a 10/1 ratio, not a 100/1.

Either way, it's a bad idea.

I think at least a 100:1 ratio should be enforced.

As it stands, most cachers hide something when they feel the time is right. Put the element of force into play, and you'll create resentment which will lead to some truly carpy hides.

I have been caching about a year for 400 finds, but haven't placed any as yet. During the last year I have spent most of it travelling on business, caching in odd cities and countries as I went. Were I to have placed a cache while at home it would have spent months abandonned while I was away - not the right thing at all.

I'm sure nobody would suggest I stop caching at an arbitrary limit of 10 or 100 finds and wait until my residence was stable again until I could place a cache that could even be approved with in the guidelines. Now that I am at home for 4 of the next 5 months, I have a series in mind that I will start placing over the next few weeks.

Edited by smerrall

You're probably correct that this has run its course. I can't resist adding that I regard my cache hides as if they are "shops" waiting for "customers". Just like the shopkeeper-customer relationship, it's not a case of give-or-take as I get well rewarded when people find my caches, so I'm very happy with customers that just want to stay customers. They are "giving", even if they just log with a "TNLN".

No need to feel guilty about shopping yet never setting up your own shop!

HH

After reading the 'Hiding a cache' thread it seemed just as important to me that all members have a responsibility to hide as well as find. I try to keep a 25:1 ratio, but I think at least a 100:1 ratio should be enforced.

If hiding is giving and finding is taking, then surely it's not right to only take.

Placing a cache might also help these "non-hiders" to appreciate the effort the rest of us spend when making a hide.

I'm with the majority here. I disagree with enforcing hides by ratio. Stats reflect the past, and shouldn't dictate your future. It's like baseball players who are obsessed with batting averages but never seem to be with a winning team.

There are other ways to give besides hiding a cache. You can help Travel Bugs reach their goal. You can leave cool signature items in caches (pins, coins, handmade crafts). You can post entertaining logs, and post photos.

The seed cache idea mentioned by Kit Fox works! If you visit Northern California, Marky & Joani is often mentioned as the team responsible for seeding caches in the area. They don't just do that, though. They will sometimes show up at events and bring a truckload of pre-made caches of all sizes with swags and log sheets already included and distribute them unconditionally. Now, THAT is giving. :blink: