Using GPS Units Internationally

The Dinkers

I am trying to decide which GPS unit to buy. Right now I am looking at the eTrex Legend. I live in New York, but have family in New Zealand and would LOVE to go Geocaching when I visit. However, I can't find out if that unit will be sufficient "Down Under." Will I be able to get the appropriate maps on it? If not can I download them? Would the 8 megabytes memory be enough? I would be most grateful for any help! :unsure:

The unit will work down under. You have to check Garmin's website to see if there are maps for the area though.

Since you are considering the Legend you might want to reconisder and look at the eTrex Venture CX. Garmin has a $50 rebate on the CX models (expiring soon), which makes the Venture CX only about $30 more than the Legend.

For that extra $30 the Venture CX gives you:

-Expandible map memory up to a gig and more compared to the Legend's 8 megs

-Color screen compared to the Legend's B/W

-Fast USB PC connection compared to the Legend's slow serial connection (and most newer PCs don't come with serial ports)

-Autorouting (turn by turn driving directions to an address or location). The Legend doesn't do this.

-Better reception than the Legend.

-Newer technology. The Venture CX is the latest handheld from Garmin. The Legend has been around for at least 6 years. Ancient by GPS standards.

You didn't say which part of NY you live, but if you are in the NYC metro area, the 8 megs in the Legend will give you very little map coverage. If you are upstate, away from the more populated areas like Buffalo and Albany you will get considerably more map coverage in the 8 megs.

Edited by briansnat

Garmin does have a map for the area. It is called the world map. I am not sure but the Rino's come only with the North America map and anything outside that, you need the world map. The Garmin maps are called Mapsource.

I'm wondering if the Legend would have enough memory for worldmap data? Also, it comes with a "PC cable" not a USB...

Garmin does have a map for the area. It is called the world map. I am not sure but the Rino's come only with the North America map and anything outside that, you need the world map. The Garmin maps are called Mapsource.

I'm wondering if the Legend would have enough memory for worldmap data? Also, it comes with a "PC cable" not a USB...

Thats because a usb cable was never made for it, most people just get a serial/usb adator or just use a computer with a serial port :tired: . If you want one that has an acutal usb cable you need to move up to a color one (like Legend C, Legend Cx, etc)

It will have enough memory to load a few segments of world map data, bit nowhere near the whole thing.

Worldmap is pretty limited. Its similar to the North America basemap that comes with the unit.

If you're looking for streetmaps, the NZ Open GPS Maps site has all New Zealand streets and will shoehorn into a little Blue Legend: no routing though.

If you're going colour, or a unit with more memory, there are a number of Mapping products available for the Garmins both official and unofficial. Have a look on this NZ GPS Soc. page. They range from free all the way to the official Garmin product. Recent post on the subject.

Cheers,

G.

I think I'm also a bit confused as to what information is already on the units... To go geocaching in New Zealand will I absolutely need to add maps? Or is what comes on the units sufficient?

I don't have a PC connection on my computer, so if I needed to add maps, I'd need a unit with a USB, I guess.

I'm looking for something that I can use here in the states as a novice, but could take with me to New Zealand. I also am on a budget. What do ya'll recommend?

I think I'm also a bit confused as to what information is already on the units... To go geocaching in New Zealand will I absolutely need to add maps? Or is what comes on the units sufficient?

The 'basemap' on a legend (the old non-color one) is going to have a very basic map, major highways and interstates. And that map is only going to have those basic roads for the US and Canada (assuming you bought the unit in the US or Canada, if you bought it outside the US it might have the basemap for whereever you got it). Outside the area of the basemap, it will only the outline of the country and maybe the largest city (as a named dot).

Is the basemap (or any map) needed? No. You'll still be able to plug in a coordinate and follow the arrow just like you can do at home. Its just that the gps will only tell you straight line direction, you'll have to figure out how to get to the park or whatever it is your heading to.

The 'basemap' on a legend (the old non-color one) is going to have a very basic map, major highways and interstates. And that map is only going to have those basic roads for the US and Canada (assuming you bought the unit in the US or Canada, if you bought it outside the US it might have the basemap for whereever you got it). Outside the area of the basemap, it will only the outline of the country and maybe the largest city (as a named dot).

Is the basemap (or any map) needed? No. You'll still be able to plug in a coordinate and follow the arrow just like you can do at home. Its just that the gps will only tell you straight line direction, you'll have to figure out how to get to the park or whatever it is your heading to.

Will the Legend cx have more basemap detail?

I'm looking for something that I can use here in the states as a novice, but could take with me to New Zealand. I also am on a budget. What do ya'll recommend?

Again I will recommend the Venture CX for the reasons I stated above. Its only $30 more than the Legend and a lot more GPS.

I was looking at the Legend CX too... It's not much (or at all?) different from the Venture CX. The Venture doesn't come w/ an SD card (does it work without it??) or the Mapsource Trip and Waypoint Manager (it comes w/ the Legend CX, is it an added bonus? or necessary for the unit to function?). What are your thoughts?

Will the Legend cx have more basemap detail?

I don't have a Legend Cx so I have not idea if its more detailed or not.

If you want to know for sure you should try to find the the actual unit and turn it on and look it over. It seems your concern is about the maps and how detailed they are. Maybe there is an event in your area you could attend and ask some of the people about there gps units and see for yourself what the maps are like?