new new newbe to this hobby.

Gatorman1

:D Yes I am a newbe :D Several years ago I started metal detecting and I love it, last week I attended the WATTS hunt in Antlers Oklahoma. This is a three day hunt with lots of different detector hunts for silver coins and other prizes. One of the hunts was a GPS hunt but I had no gps. Then I talked to a friend of mine and he told me about geocaching and well today I got my first gps and you now the rest of the story.

I will start looking and learning on this site, but I 'm allways open for any pointers from the veterans.

Thanks

GATORMAN1

Well, people do place travelers (coins, bugs) that they want you to log, but then place into another cache.

Edit: I do have to admit that I knew there was going to be some confusion about whether or not you can keep coins or are required to move them along.

Fortunately, not my problem.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Well, people do place travelers (coins, bugs) that they want you to log, but then place into another cache.

Edit: I do have to admit that I knew there was going to be some confusion about whether or not you can keep coins or are required to move them along.

Fortunately, not my problem.

I know i have also been confused with that. You are not alone Deuce.

Start with 1/1/ caches. Full size caches are a good start before you tackle micros. Unless you look for parking lot micros. Those are like digging coins in tot lots. :D

El Diablo

Do you know of any geo hunts on this or other sites were you need to also search with a detector too?

No. The biggest and most basic rule of caching is that they can't be buried. You will find then hiden under dead fall, leaves, etc...but you should never find one that is buried.

The rules of MDing is to cover your holes and leave no trace. Caching there are no holes, but we try to leave no trace. also in MDing you take all the trash you find and dispose of it. Here we practice what we call Cache in, Trash out. When we hunt we normally remove trash that we find during the hunt. We also hold CITO events where the sole purpose is for a group to get together and clean a park.

You will find that the 2 sports/games/hobbies have a lot in common.

El Diablo

Start with 1/1/ caches. Full size caches are a good start before you tackle micros. Unless you look for parking lot micros. Those are like digging coins in tot lots. :D

El Diablo

Do you know of any geo hunts on this or other sites were you need to also search with a detector too?

No. The biggest and most basic rule of caching is that they can't be buried. You will find then hiden under dead fall, leaves, etc...but you should never find one that is buried.

The rules of MDing is to cover your holes and leave no trace. Caching there are no holes, but we try to leave no trace. also in MDing you take all the trash you find and dispose of it. Here we practice what we call Cache in, Trash out. When we hunt we normally remove trash that we find during the hunt. We also hold CITO events where the sole purpose is for a group to get together and clean a park.

You will find that the 2 sports/games/hobbies have a lot in common.

El Diablo

Hay thanks for the info, Im excited about trying it out. Also when I was looking for some caches online I noticed that some are placed in or around parks. Thats great, find the cache then thump the playgrounds for coins and rings, wooopeeee the best of both worlds. :D

On a MDing forum I belong to, I read a post about Geocaching & how a MDr can help locate some geocaches. There is usually some sort of metal in a cache (travel bug tag, coin, matchbox car etc...) So swing your coil around a suspected area & you just might find it quicker. :laughing:

good ideal thanks :laughing:

"Also when I was looking for some caches online I noticed that some are placed in or around parks."

I don't consider myself a vet but, I wanted to add my two cents. :laughing: An idea I had to come up with on the fly a few caches ago when dealing with parks and parking lot caches with crowds of people... was to tuck a wal-mart sack in my pocket.(maybe a trash bag if you have bigger pockets.) Every now and then you can run in to nosey outsiders or mugglers and they just have to investigate. If I see them coming, I take out the bag and start picking up beer cans, trash, etc. It helps out for them to leave you alone and maybe they won't freak out and think you're up to no good. At the same time, we can help clean up the enviroment. There's also a post somwhere on this site I read after that incident that recommends using a clipboard. They went on to say that nobody suspects a person with a clipboard.(LoL) It's true! And if the nosey rosey or muggler moves closer to you... just start counting trees and doodle in the clipboard.(LoL) I also like having a caching partner, my father, or girlfriend go with me. Simply put... two heads are always better than one. They can help look out for mugglers and is safer if locating caches deep in the woods and out of sight of most of the world. Equip them with a cell phone or walkie talkie and they won't even have to get out of the car if they'd rather not. Just some advice and experience I learned early on and wanted to pass it on to ya'. Hope it helps and happy hunting! Us newbies have to stick together!(LoL) :laughing:

Edited by CacheOnly75
"Also when I was looking for some caches online I noticed that some are placed in or around parks."

I don't consider myself a vet but, I wanted to add my two cents. :laughing: An idea I had to come up with on the fly a few caches ago when dealing with parks and parking lot caches with crowds of people... was to tuck a wal-mart sack in my pocket.(maybe a trash bag if you have bigger pockets.) Every now and then you can run in to nosey outsiders or mugglers and they just have to investigate. If I see them coming, I take out the bag and start picking up beer cans, trash, etc. It helps out for them to leave you alone and maybe they won't freak out and think you're up to no good. At the same time, we can help clean up the enviroment. There's also a post somwhere on this site I read after that incident that recommends using a clipboard. They went on to say that nobody suspects a person with a clipboard.(LoL) It's true! And if the nosey rosey or muggler moves closer to you... just start counting trees and doodle in the clipboard.(LoL) I also like having a caching partner, my father, or girlfriend go with me. Simply put... two heads are always better than one. They can help look out for mugglers and is safer if locating caches deep in the woods and out of sight of most of the world. Equip them with a cell phone or walkie talkie and they won't even have to get out of the car if they'd rather not. Just some advice and experience I learned early on and wanted to pass it on to ya'. Hope it helps and happy hunting! Us newbies have to stick together!(LoL) :laughing:

Hay that clipboard ideal sounds like it would work too, just think about the people at the mall with the clipboards I allways try to look the other way and try to walk around them. I have the same problem when I'm detecting parks, the kids start to follow you around and ask "hey mr what ya doin, hay mr whats that? hay mr are you looking for treasure?" Dont get me wrong I would love to sit down and talk to them about the hobby but now adays you have to be carefull of talking to kids with nervus parents around. But any how thanks for the response.

Hay that clipboard ideal sounds like it would work too, just think about the people at the mall with the clipboards I allways try to look the other way and try to walk around them. I have the same problem when I'm detecting parks, the kids start to follow you around and ask "hey mr what ya doin, hay mr whats that? hay mr are you looking for treasure?" Dont get me wrong I would love to sit down and talk to them about the hobby but now adays you have to be carefull of talking to kids with nervus parents around. But any how thanks for the response.

:blink:I wasn't thinking about those clipboarders in the mall. But, that would for sure send some folks runnin' the other way to avoid ya'. :huh: It was likewise, recommended to me to take the opportunity to introduce an inquiring mind to the hobby if they was bold enough to walk up and ask what I was up to. But, by the same token, I fear I might risk the safety of the cache to someone who might keep an eye on where I go and take it upon themselves to move or remove it after I left if they became paranoid. It'd have to be a judgement call I suppose. :huh: Then again, some folks can talk better than I can about Geocaching due to them having more experience than me. Another idea for deflecting mugglers: my caching partner told me was to simply just put my GPS up to my head and talk to it like a cell phone while I go walking off toward the cache. :( I can imagine that's a little harder to do with a metal detector strapped to ya'. :( Of course that might work too... if you was having a conversation with your metal detector like you was on the cell phone, I wouldn't bother ya'. :( Take care bro and welcome to the hobby!