Shopping for new GPS, need opinions

Toidy

Hi everyone!

Hubby and I got into geocaching almost a year ago in California, but we were sidetracked this summer by a move to the great state of Texas!

During the move, my Magellan Explorist 500 was lost...(sob!) and we haven't gotten to cache since. :P

I bought the expensive Explorist because I'd received a $300 Best Buy gift card at work...and I added to it to make up the difference. But now that it's just MY money, I'd like to buy a more economical unit.

Can anyone recommend an economical AND simple GPS to operate? I miss caching...I'm eager to get back to it. :-)

Thanks much!

If you have cables and Magellan software, I suggest you stick with Magellan products.

If you want to jump ship over to Garmin, I recommend the Etrex Legend Cx ($240 minus $50 rebate), or the Etrex Venture Cx ($200 minus $50 rebate). Both are identical in features and performance. The difference being the Legend comes with a USB cable and 64mb memory card. Both have color screen; 32-hour battery life on 2AA; and offer auto-routing capability with optional (about $115) mapping software.

Can anyone recommend an economical AND simple GPS to operate? I miss caching...I'm eager to get back to it. :-)

My suggestion? Go for the Garmin ForeTrex 101 (or 201, if you prefer not to have batteries). Small, light, wear like a wristwatch, simple to operate, can be attached to the computer with a $15 cable, costs $120 itself, compatible with most anything that speaks the Garmin protocols (which includes the GSAK, CacheMate, GPSBabel, and more than a few others).

I've been using it for a few weeks now, and have had zero problems with it. Very happy customer here :laughing:

A lot depends on how economical you want to go. You can go under $100 if you want, but it depends on the features. For example, it is difficult to download waypoints with the Lowrance IFinder GO and the screen is pretty small, but otherwise it is a great unit.

Or with the Garmin Etrex Yellow, you do not have a map. But if you're only using it for caching, you might not need a map on the screen.

Another way to save money is to buy used units on eBay, most units are designed to take quite a beating and often the seller took pretty good care of the unit anyway.

Good luck!