Are GPS signals affected at sunset?

GordEtob

I've noticed many times that around sunset, +/- 30 minutes my GPSr will quite often lose the satellite lock. This doesn't always happen, but I just wondered if there's anything to this. Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon? Is there any scientific explanation for this effect?

Or have I just bumped my Garmin and/or head on too many rocks? :unsure:

I've noticed many times that around sunset, +/- 30 minutes my GPSr will quite often lose the satellite lock.

I'm not an expert thats for sure, but I think the time and where you are is what is important, not the fact that it is dark or light. It all depends what satellites are passing over head. I do half my caching in the middle of the night, and havn't noticed any difference. Only under heavy tree cover, or in or around rock fields, or by large boddies of water, have I noticed a hard time getting a lock.

But then again, I could be full of snot, because I really dont' know what i'm talking about, i'm just going from experiences i've had. Hey, at least i'm not afraid to admitt it! :unsure::ph34r::huh:B)

Anyone who subscribes to any satellite tv service knows what it is like to have the TV go blank and a message like "searching for satellite signal" pops up,usually when the weather is stormy or during a very hard rain. Therefore the weather has to be the culprit creating the loss of satellite reception at that point. Also the sun does affect ALL radio signals in one way or another,the effect and the amount of that effect depends greatly on the wave of the radio frequency. I am a licensed amateur radio operator as well as cacher,sorry for getting a little off the main topic. I don't think the sunset really has much to do with your reception loss though,most of the effects of the sun i was referring to is created by sunspots or solar flares which may cause more effect on the "sunny" side of the earth .Thats my 2 cents.

SniperChicken

Anyone who subscribes to any satellite tv service knows what it is like to have the TV go blank and a message like "searching for satellite signal" pops up,usually when the weather is stormy or during a very hard rain. Therefore the weather has to be the culprit creating the loss of satellite reception at that point. Also the sun does affect ALL radio signals in one way or another,the effect and the amount of that effect depends greatly on the wave of the radio frequency. I am a licensed amateur radio operator as well as cacher,sorry for getting a little off the main topic. I don't think the sunset really has much to do with your reception loss though,most of the effects of the sun i was referring to is created by sunspots or solar flares which may cause more effect on the "sunny" side of the earth .Thats my 2 cents.

SniperChicken

It's important to understand the frequencies in question.... the GPS signal is roughly 1/10th the frequency of your Satellite TV signal, and is less affected by rain, etc.