Explorist Question

Meckers

I'm ready to upgrade from my basic etrex to something a little better. I'm thinking of either the Explorist 300 or the 500. My question concerns whether the 22 megs of available memory in the 300 is sufficient for my needs. I want to download topo maps for very distinct areas, e.g. the Lake Meade area in Nevada or Death Valley in California. I don't think I will need more than one area map in the unit at any given time.

I know the 500 has unlimited memory capacity via the SD card whereas the 300 is limited. I have no idea how much memory is required for the types of area maps I described. Can anyone help?

Also, can these units (or others) download maps from sources other than their manufacturers?

Thanks,

Bill

Thanks Michael. I was confused. I thought I read an ad that said the 300 had the same specs as the 210 plus it had a compass and altimeter. It must have referred to the 200, not the 210. In that case, I think the 210 is actually preferable to the 300. You can always carry (and should) a magnetic compass.

Just so you know, the 600 is basicaly the 500 plus all the features from the 300 plus 3-axis compass and thermomiter. I think the e-compass is essential.

You don't need a electronic compass, it needs calibration and uses more battery power.

The units without the electronic compass still have a compass screen though it uses gps signal to figure out what direction your heading. Units without the E-compasss you'll need to be moving 2MPH for it to work, I can't remember a cache I ever did that didn't require me to be moving to get there. save your money and buy a real compass.

I'm ready to upgrade from my basic etrex to something a little better. I'm thinking of either the Explorist 300 or the 500. My question concerns whether the 22 megs of available memory in the 300 is sufficient for my needs. I want to download topo maps for very distinct areas, e.g. the Lake Meade area in Nevada or Death Valley in California. I don't think I will need more than one area map in the unit at any given time.

I know the 500 has unlimited memory capacity via the SD card whereas the 300 is limited. I have no idea how much memory is required for the types of area maps I described. Can anyone help?

Also, can these units (or others) download maps from sources other than their manufacturers?

Thanks,

Bill

I strongly suggest (and I believe others will agree) that whatever unit you chose, get one with PC connection capabilities. Whether you load maps or not, you can transfer waypoints, routes, and maps between your computer and pc. And any bugs will eventually be fixed through firmware updates via the PC. This rules out the Explorist 300.

I have an Explorist 300 and I love it. I got it on Woot! as a backup to my Garmin eTrex Vista and I find myself using the 300 more and more. True, you can't download waypoints or maps, but I don't do that much with my Vista anyway. Manually inputting the waypoints couldn't be simpler and a Hagstrom in the car (plus the Mapquest printout) gets me wherever I need to go.

One man input: an electronic compass is nice, but not essential. As a matter of fact, I prefer to have my $12 Silva "real" compass with me--when the batteries fail, it's nice to know you still have a nav tool. I've recently upgraded from a basic eTrex to the eXplorist 500 and have been quite pleased.

Just so you know, the 600 is basicaly the 500 plus all the features from the 300 plus 3-axis compass and thermomiter. I think the e-compass is essential.

You don't need a electronic compass, it needs calibration and uses more battery power.

The units without the electronic compass still have a compass screen though it uses gps signal to figure out what direction your heading. Units without the E-compasss you'll need to be moving 2MPH for it to work, I can't remember a cache I ever did that didn't require me to be moving to get there. save your money and buy a real compass.

What use is a real compass if you don't know what direction the cache is? Also, I find the compass great for triangulation.

What use is a real compass if you don't know what direction the cache is? Also, I find the compass great for triangulation.

I set my gps to display bearing in degrees, and set it to magnetic north.... pretty easy to dial in a real compass and it will point me right to the cache.