WAAS Northeast

Hi there,

I live in New Brunswick Canada(state of Maine and hang a right), just wondering if it is

possible to lock on to a WAAS sat? From what I have read I don't think I can, and if true

what would be the nearest state that a lock is possible?

Given that I am on the ground with normal ground cover etc, etc.

Thanks.

There are two WAAS sats that are in geosynchronus (SIC) orbit over the equator. They serve the area in the Western hemisphere from roughly 20 degrees West Long to 160 degrees West Long. Being set over the equator they cover from 60 degrees North latitude to 60 degrees South latitude.

Here in Oregon (44N X 121W) I have sometimes got a lock on both but usually only get the western one.

The other 22 to 24 that orbit the earth have normal 95 to 105 minute orbits.

I would expect to get at least the eastern WAAS at any place in NB with a clear view of the southern sky.

There are currently 4 WAAS sats. 35, 47, 48, and 51. 48 and 51 are in testing but 48 should be operational in a few days. At any rate, they are still usable to us. Just not garranteed till out of testing. Here is a new map of the area covered by all of them. I think you should be ok:

WAASFall2006a.jpg

There are currently 4 WAAS sats. 35, 47, 48, and 51. 48 and 51 are in testing but 48 should be operational in a few days. At any rate, they are still usable to us. Just not garranteed till out of testing. Here is a new map of the area covered by all of them. I think you should be ok:

WAASFall2006a.jpg

Nice. :rolleyes:

WAASFall2006a.jpg

Nice. :)

Thanks for the info and nice map.......I have tried several times in different locations but have never picked up a signal.

I have a Lowrance Expedition C and yes my WAAS is on. I have waited as long as 10 minutes in each location.....should I be waiting longer?

Thanks.

Edited by Forest_ghost

I have a Lowrance Expedition C and yes my WAAS is on. I have waited as long as 10 minutes in each location.....should I be waiting longer?

You need to find some time, and do the following:

You need a open view of the sky, but you want to block the unit from seeing the south west. On the satellite page press the down arrow 3 times. On the bottom area of that screen look for the PRN number (Left most column.)

You want to block SNR 122 (known as 35) If 122 shows, position your body between the unit and it's view of the south west sky, you can tell when you are in the right spot, the PRN (right most column) needs to stay at 0

After a minute or two with no WAAS signal, it will look for others, it may take up to 20 minutes, but it will find 138 (51). After that it should use it automatically.

I can hit 51 and 48 from near Boston MA for what its worth.

Good to know.....I am reading other forums and am seeing some posts that are saying WAAS is not presently available in the Northeast (north of Portland Maine). Does anybody have any more info on this and if true is it just for the short term?

Thanks.

Here is the real time coverage: http://www.nstb.tc.faa.gov/vpl.html

However, this is based on the operational WAAS, which puts Maine just outside of WAAS sat 35's range. 48 and 51 are operating (in test mode) and those should be available to you. In a few days you should see the coverage for Maine fill in as 48 goes operational.

Hey, thanks man....good info....I am seeing some stuff happening on my sat screen that has never been there before(Lowrance Expedition C), could this be part of the "testing" of 48 and 51?

Here is the real time coverage: http://www.nstb.tc.faa.gov/vpl.html

However, this is based on the operational WAAS, which puts Maine just outside of WAAS sat 35's range. 48 and 51 are operating (in test mode) and those should be available to you. In a few days you should see the coverage for Maine fill in as 48 goes operational.

Hey, thanks man....good info....I am seeing some stuff happening on my sat screen that has never been there before(Lowrance Expedition C), could this be part of the "testing" of 48 and 51?

Hi, there was a thread on here (I can't find it right now) about needing to update the almanac on the Garmin units to get the new satellite numbers for WAAS. 35 was the original bird, and if your receiver doesn't know to look for the others (48 and 51) it won't even try. I don't know about the Lowrance units.

As for me - I'm from Bathurst orignally but I'm now on The Rock - so I'm really out of luck (for WAAS). :laughing:

Maybe I'll try it again when the satellites are fully up.

Skisidedown

I have a Magellan Meridian that I got as a Christmas present in 2001 and my unit has no problem finding the new WAAS satellites. All I ever have to do is leave my unit on long enough to recieve any new almanac information form the satellites. I did a google search on updating the garmin WAAS almanac to see if Garmin was any different, it is. The VERY FIRST webpage returned gives instructions on what Garmin users are required to do to load the almanac. It looks like a very big PITA to me. If you want my advice I say buy a Magellan and follow my one step directions to update the almanac. 1) Go Geocaching.

I have a Magellan Meridian that I got as a Christmas present in 2001 and my unit has no problem finding the new WAAS satellites. All I ever have to do is leave my unit on long enough to recieve any new almanac information form the satellites.

Really? How do you know it is seeing the new satellites? AFAIK, Magellans will not use the WAAS satellites until the "Testing" message is turned off. My Magellan units certainly are not using the new satellites yet.

I have a Magellan Meridian that I got as a Christmas present in 2001 and my unit has no problem finding the new WAAS satellites. All I ever have to do is leave my unit on long enough to recieve any new almanac information form the satellites.

Really? How do you know it is seeing the new satellites? AFAIK, Magellans will not use the WAAS satellites until the "Testing" message is turned off. My Magellan units certainly are not using the new satellites yet.

When I first moved to Hawaii I only saw one W on the satellite status screen. Then one day there were two W's. Unless my GPSr has gone senile on me, which may be the case because the unit did take on water while hunting the Menehune Island cache, then it is picking up a new WAAS satellite. I haven't done anything special to my GPSr to make the other WAAS satellite show up. AFAIK the only way my GPSr could have learned about it is during an almanac update.

When I first moved to Hawaii I only saw one W on the satellite status screen. Then one day there were two W's. Unless my GPSr has gone senile on me, which may be the case because the unit did take on water while hunting the Menehune Island cache, then it is picking up a new WAAS satellite.

Ah. Now I understand.

In fact, your GPS is not picking up the new satellites; it is seeing an old satellite that was moved from the Atlantic last spring to a new position where it can be seen from Hawaii.

I'm hoping that when the new satellites become fully operational, my Magellans will see them without any need to re-start. We'll have to see.