Funny Story

mrehs

Funny Story

I am not a Geo enthusiast but may become one after what happened yesterday.

I am an avid hiker and was out on a hike like I often do around here in a

city park called Babb Run in Cuyahoga Falls Ohio. I looked up somewhere

along the trail in the park and noticed a rock shelter that caught my

eye.

I swayed off the trail about 30 ft and came upon a large tree with a

rock pile next to it. Rocks don't generally stack themselves so I got

closer. As I came up to the pile I noticed what appeared to be an army issue ammo

container under the rocks. Once I identified this I stopped to think,

What is an ammo case doing at a public park. With all the things happening

in this country today I elected not to unbury this but to call the police

to investigate. I called and had dispatch send an officer down to the park

entrance and I would bring them down. They sent down an officer who

just so happened to be a personal friend of mine for the past 25 years. This

relieved me because I seemed a little embarrassed in getting the police

involved. I told him what I found and it was about 1/2 a mile into the

park and 30 foot off of the main trail. We walked and when we got to it he

agreed to take precaution in taking it out. Being trained for things

like this he went around it visually and decided it was safe to take it out

and open it. Upon opening in we were pleased to find the paper stating this

was a geocache. Inside were many trinkets,toys,coins,and other small items obviously

left by other possible geo enthusiasts. We signed the log and both put in

our business cards and had a good laugh. We respectfully put it back for

others to find.

I was impressed to find out this had been there since 2003 and the last

entry was about 2 month ago. I went home and looked up the web sight a

did a little reading about the group and got to admit I am curious enough

to join and possible find more geocaches. It was really fun. I also found

out there are about a half a dozen caches in my area which gives me more

chances to pursue this group.

If I can suggest using something other than a ammo case though I will.

Unfortunately with all the alerts and terrorist threats we are facing,

maybe a redesigning of a container might be in order. But that is just

a suggestion, not that ammo cases are typically booby trapped as opposed

to other types of cases are, but you never can tell. Crazy world.

first off welcome to a hobby that can fast become a obession ;)

Now, while a lot of us would welcome getting away from military ammo cans we use them for several reasons.. the suckers are usually very water resistant... the metal can take one heck of a beating.... and the size can fit quite a bit in it. I'm suire others will add to this list.

Problem is things like 'Otter'boxes are extremely expensive & people will take them for other usages without a second thought, plastic nalgene bottles can be extremely expensive, if you can get them & in the right size/mouth width.

Things called 'lock n locks' are good but nowwhere near as tough as a ammo can.

I agree we should think about moving away from ammo cans but think about this.. if you put a clear container out there that will be a heck of lot easier to spot.. what makes you think the cops wont blow it up anyways as they wont risk getting that close to it.

It has happened already with clear containers, or semi clear.. people get paranoid & think the worst from the getgo. Oh well

Welcome to the addiction! :rolleyes:

As you venture out in this hobby, you'll soon find that ammo cans will be your friends. (Really!) I too live in your area (was caching in Akron today, actually) and it's the smaller containers that can get you. Not only can people suspect that something is wrong and up to no good, but they also let the moisture in. (And the last thing you want to do is reach into a container full of pulp. It's not fun! <_< )

Let me know if you have any other ??s about caching in our area. I am still relatively new, but I might be able to help!

Welcome to geocaching!

We are only relatively new as well but it has been fun fun fun!!!

We have found some different types of containers, but of all the ammo cans were the best, most secure, and least muggled!

I firmly believe that all geocaches should have the geocache sticker on them as manditory before they are approved because like you have experienced, if its not labeled as a part of a game then how do you know or want to risk opening it to see what is in it.

Now labeling a cache wont necessarily stop bad people from using a cache label on something like a bomb, but at least its going to identify a cache as a cache easily and visibly from the outside!

Welcome to the game, Ammo cans are definately the best large container out there, in smaller containers, military decon containers are also excellent, The military is definately good at making containers that are tough, water proof, and stand up well to the test of time. Other containers usually pale in comparison in usually many ways. a good easily obtainable second best would probably be a lock and lock, but they are nowhere near as rugged as an ammocan.

I've seen many containers that you would think are perfect for geocaches, but when rain hits them, they leak like a sieve.

Ammo cans are great containers, but they really shouldn't be used in city parks, especially 30 feet from a trail.

Too often these instance wind up with the bomb squad being called in and roads being closed. Not good for ours sport.

Anyway Mrehs, I think you'll enjoy geocaching. As an avid hiker myself I find it to be a great way to learn about new places to hike. Sometimes in your own backyard.