New and having trouble

caffine_loady

After a misshap or two, I finally started learning how to use my ifinder go2, setting points, deleting my tracks (which were a mess on the screen), and learning to use the "go to" function... however... out of 6 looked for I only found 1. Am I just retarded, or when the coordinates seem to point to someone's backyard, or the other side of a wall, or the middle of a dirt drive... I realize the WAAS is still +\- 10 ft, but how do I know where to look??? If something seems to be in someone's front yard, it it ok to look? How do I keep from looking so suspicious fumbling through bushes looking for a tin? BTW I'm trying the urban finds first so I don't waste time not finding something at the end of a 4 mile hike. Please help...

I remember my wife and mine first day. It was pretty frustrating, but we learned some valuable lessons. Cachers are creative people. Don't underestimate anything. Look in the tops of poles, under tables, under light poles bases, sprinkers, yes sprinklers, we found a mock sprinkler that looked like all the rest in area that contained a cache. Some of the easier ones are the magnetic ones, because being magnetic limits where you have to look. The more you do it the better your cache sense will become. Just remember many times your GPS may be right on, but it could be way off. If the person who placed the cache receiver was showing an error of 10 feet and your reciever may be showing an error of 10 feet, your ground zero may be about 20 feet off.

Good Luck!

no, it's usually not ok to look in someone's yard unless there is a note on the cache page.

I would start with a fullsize cache, you can probably find a few of those without much walking, (though if you really don't like walking, I'm not sure how geocaching will appeal to you too much. ) Otherwise, make sure to read the clues on the cache page, they are the scrambled letters that help you find the location.

Finally, don't trust the GPS. It will lie to you. Use the GPS to get to the general area, then use the clue, or once you've found a few, your instincts, to look around and find the actual cache.

Don't give up, once you find a few, you'll be hopelessly hooked like the rest of us.

Start out by looking for caches that have a low terrain/difficulty rating. Try looking for caches other than micro's, which can sometimes be a bear to find. Remember, too, that your GPSr is anywhere from 1-30' off in its readings, AND the cache hiders GPSr was 1-30' off when they placed it. So, between the two you may be as far as 50-60 ft away when your unit says you are right on top of it. Read the clues, hints, and past logs to make sure that the last 5 people that looked for it didn't log a DNF. When you get about 30' or so away, stop looking at your GPS and start looking for places that the cache may be hidden. Look for obvious spots, like piles of sticks, a park bench, a rock wall. Don't get discouraged, sometimes its a pain in the butt, but the finds are ALWAYS worth it. Good luck and happy caching!!! :laughing:

Hey, we know how you feel. For the first few weeks our find rate was barely 50%. I think I apologized for being an idiot about 20 times. Our easiest finds were the ones out in the woods. We didn't worry about it - just enjoyed the walks and the sights. Now after 3 or four months and a whopping 58 finds we feel like pros :) . Our goal is 100 before the end of the year. We limit ourselves to 3/3 difficulty/terrain or less (especially the terrain). We are also becoming familiar with the "style" of some of the more active cachers in the area which helps when searching. At first you really expect that GPS to put you right on the spot but as the others have pointed out the compounded error between the hider's coords and the seeker's can be considerable. We still use the hints a lot but I've stopped walking with my head down staring at the device. When I get within 30 feet I just start taking in my surroundings and it's amazing how often I'll spot the cache from a distance because I see a likely spot or something is just a little out of synch with the rest of the area. Hang in there, you'll get it before long. Meanwhile, enjoy the areas the caches take you to.

I too made the mistake of thinking my GPS would lead me right to the cache. I also underestimated how well camoflagued some caches are!

My suggestion is to look for a regular size container. Not micro, not small!!! I have seen a number of small containers suspended from tree branches or even 10 feet above the ground on the top of a tall stump! Ammo boxes will probably be on the ground.

Difficulty ONE! Not two, not 1.5!!!!

Look at the logs. Make sure it has been found recently. Multiple times is better. Short walk is better. Comments about "easy find" or kids found it are better yet! "Just off the trail" is also good. Beware of "well hidden" or "clever hide" or "great camo job" until you've done a few more! Especially avoid "you've got waaaay too much time on your hands" for the time being!

Watch for the "Kid Friendly" icon. That's usually an easier cache too.

Oh, beware logs that claim the GPS coordinates were "right on". GPS accuracy varies so much from day to day/even minute to minute. If that same person searched for the cache today he might report that the GPS coordinates were off by 30 feet. However, if EVERYONE is posting about erroneous GPS coordinates, then maybe you should skip that cache.

Once you're in the area of the cache, look around for anything out of place. An unusual pile of sticks or an accumulation of bark are giveaways. The larger the container, the fewer possible hiding spots.

Then, expand your search at least 30 feet in all directions. Look under fallen tree trunks that are close to the ground. You'll be amazed at how little it takes to hide an ammo box that is under a fallen tree trunk. Or INSIDE a hollow tree! Think of where YOU would hide it if you wanted to be sneaky!

Expand to a radius of 45-60 feet if needed. I have found caches that were right at the posted coordinates, and others that were off by amost 100 feet! Most are within 30 feet in my experience.

Regarding the GPS. Keep fresh batteries in it. Accuracy on my Garmin decreases dramatically with battery drain.

Walk away and back to the area several times. The GPS will probably send you to a different place each time. This will form a probability circle. Your cache will probably be within the circle, or within 30 feet outside the edge of the circle.

Don't be afraid to return another day. You'd be surprised how many times you'll find it quickly on your second trip. Most likely, you walked right by it several times.

Edited by michigansnorkeler

The GPS of the person hiding the cache and the GPS of the person seeking the cache are not going to be co-ordinated. As someone else suggested you might have to expand your search 30 feet or more. Read the hint, also read the logs of others who have posted. You might find a hint in disguise. If you have a dog bring it along on your urban searches. People don't pay a lot of attention to someone walking their dog unless its misbehaving. For the caches that you can not find, are you logging them as a did not find? Often the log owner will send you an email with a better clue about where you should look. When you can't find a cache look around and ask yourself where you would hide a cache and often you will get inspired. Are you digging around in likely spots? Some caches might be covered with dirt. Caches are more often covered with leaves, branches, stones, and other debris that is in the area. Look for this kind of debris that looks a little out of place. A couple of weeks ago the cache we found was hidden in a hole in a tree about 5 feet off the ground. It was designed to look like a chopped off hand made from wax. The hand was clenched around a pill bottle that was the actual cache. I've also found a cache that was hidden in shrubbery hanging from a branch and one hidden in the rafters of an outhouse.

I...

Look at the logs. Make sure it has been found recently. Multiple times is better. Short walk is better. Comments about "easy find" or kids found it are better yet! "Just off the trail" is also good. Beware of "well hidden" or "clever hide" or "great camo job" until you've done a few more! Especially avoid "you've got waaaay too much time on your hands" for the time being!

I had to laugh when I read that. It's a great way to gauge the difficulty, especially when hiders all have their own opinion of how difficult it's going to be. Some of them rate themselves too low.

Edited by Kacky