MAC 10.3.9 and GPSBabel...help!

Team Monin

I am in the process of finding ANY software (pref. free) that I can use to load waypoints onto my Garmin from my Mac 10.3.9. I have looked all over these forums and tried to download several types of recommended software, including MACBabel. I am not having any luck getting anything to work. I can download fine, but can get no further.

Are there any MAC users out there that could take the time to tell me what they are using and how to use it?

Thanks,

Team Monin

Does your Garmin have a USB connection, or are you connecting a serial cable using a usb->serial converter? Serial converters are finicky at best, and I've had nothing but trouble with them. So far, I haven't had any trouble sending waypoints to my USB 60CS using GPSBabel (the GUI program, not the command line version) on an Intel imac.

At what stage are you experiencing the problem? After selecting the input file from gc.com (again, assuming you're running the GUI version, not the command line one), are you able to click the "Send GPS" button, or is it greyed out? Or does the program indicate that it's sending data but none shows up on the unit?

Edited by DavidMac

When I download and drag to my apps folder and try to open it, it says "cannot open app because app cannot be found. would you like to find it?" I select the program from the downloaded file. It opens, then a message appears immediately saying "this is not a valid program" AAARRGGGHHHH!!!!! :o:D:D:yikes::huh:

When you download and open the .dmg file, there should be two files inside: "gpsbabel.app" (the application) and a file called "gpsbabel". Make sure both of these are in the same folder.

Tried it w/ both GPX and LOC files.

Still not working.

Also tried every combination of turning off GPS and plugging in USB.

Just seems like it's not recognizing the USB connection, even though I sync my Palm w/ the same USB/Serial adapter.

Edited by Team Monin

MY personal suggestion is to goto the following website...

http://www.hiketech.com/

and get gpswrite and link2gps

i use these 2 programns extensively and they work awesomely...

you can try them for free for a while to test out. i bought them after using them for a short while and found they work flawlessly.

i have a powermac G4 DigitalAudio Dual 533. and am running 10.4.8 in case you were wondering.

oh yes, and I use a Garmin etrex Legend and a Vista

Edited by Nero

Yes, the only drivers I found for mac were for serial connections only, but the program Link2Gps should work to transfer files.

http://www.hiketech.com/index.php?content=download

Or, get a serial cable and go to http://www.chimoosoft.com/gpsconnect.html.

Refer to the manual to make sure you are connecting the cable right. download the latest firmware if all else fails. If the unit does not pop up on a PC, there is something wrong with the connector. You may also want to check on the garmin website for a file that you can download directly to gpsbabel and make it compatible with etrex. In system preferences, make sure that the personal file sharing box is unchecked in sharing>firewall. If none of these work, you may have to call garmin... sorry, I do not have much expirience syncing etrexs.