Satellite Numbering System

Jim W

Garmin (and all others AFAIK) use the PRN number for the normal GPS satellites. For the WAAS satellites:

The NMEA standard WAAS labels are used by Garmin receivers and others. This system maps the PRN number to the NMEA label by subtracting 87 from the PRN number. (source: EGNOS help desk) :

See this link for a listing of the WAAS satellite numbers.

Edited by PDOP's

Thanks PDOP's, that's what I needed, now when I go to Real Time Satellite Tracking and I want to see the latest GPS satellite lanched on 9/25/06 I can cross referance it to NAVSTAR 58, and GARMIN 31

Thanks for the link on real time tracking, and also I did notice that both my eXplorist XL and 60Cx had Identical numbering on the satellite screens, and I was able to compare up to 5 satellites at a time on the above link.

The Only problem now is to force the use of the new WAAS satellites on the eXplorist XL.

EDIT: I also made these charts my desktop wallpaper on the Laptop and my Home PC now. thanks.

Edited by GOT GPS?

Thanks. #48 can also be found as Galaxy 15. I suppose G-15 refers to that. There is also a new GPS sat going up in November. I believe it will be the new #15. With that there will be 31 gps sats. There is a warning that this may cause some problems for some units... having more than 30 up.

What link did you get the above list with the NAVSTAR numbers on it? I'm not seeing it.

I modified the chart by adding the NAVSTAR numbers in Microsoft Word, if you want a copy of the file PM me your email address and I'll send it out

Edited by Jim W

Thanks PDOP's, that's what I needed, now when I go to Real Time Satellite Tracking and I want to see the latest GPS satellite lanched on 9/25/06 I can cross referance it to NAVSTAR 58, and GARMIN 31

Thanks for the link on real time tracking, and also I did notice that both my eXplorist XL and 60Cx had Identical numbering on the satellite screens, and I was able to compare up to 5 satellites at a time on the above link.

The Only problem now is to force the use of the new WAAS satellites on the eXplorist XL.

EDIT: I also made these charts my desktop wallpaper on the Laptop and my Home PC now. thanks.

You're Welcome GOT GPS, glad I could help

It's called Visual GPS

It's pretty cool stuff, and free. There are 2 versions, the standard, and a BETA that never went into full before the project seemed to die out. This appears to be made back when SA was still active. From what Ive used both work fine.

It will show the satellites, track their movement live, and will survey and average your position. All you need is a GPS to feed it NMEA, but it needs to get the right types of feed.

It's called Visual GPS

It's pretty cool stuff, and free. There are 2 versions, the standard, and a BETA that never went into full before the project seemed to die out. This appears to be made back when SA was still active. From what Ive used both work fine.

It will show the satellites, track their movement live, and will survey and average your position. All you need is a GPS to feed it NMEA, but it needs to get the right types of feed.

Thanks Airmapper, I'll give it a try

Here's the missing data for 31 (clock type, when available..)

52 31 Launched 25 SEP 2006; usable 12 OCT 2006; operating on Rb std

Also the current 15 is off line, probably for good. A new 15 is coming soon.

Thanks EraSeek, I updated my list, here's the UPDATE

Edited by Jim W