Running and Geocaching - what to buy

swhyte

So, here's the deal. I am going to train for another marathon and like the Garmin 10x/20x/30x idea. I'm going to ask for one for Christmas. I don't really want to know how hard my heart is pounding...although I guess I'm supposed to based on what a hot topic it is.... I do want to know pace, elevation and distance information. I don't know if I would wear it in the race, but it would be great for training. I like the idea of USB charging - AAA batteries aren't my favorite.

I also want to do some Geocaching. I have a Garmin GPS12 - it's a few years old, but mostly works - don't know if I could find the serial cable any more. If need be I could use each device for it's purpose.

I live in Montana, so have a good amount of elevation change, moderate to light tree coverage and basically no development (our tallest building is 7 stories).

Is there a good place to compare the 10x/20x/30x devices? What do any of you recommend based on that information. From the posts I've read it looks like the chip in the 3 series might be worth the extra money...but I just don't know enough to make an educated decision. Any help would be great.

I don't know the difference between the fortrex and the forerunner. From the other posts, it looks like the 101 series has problems acquiring sites... does the 30x have a better 'radio' or 'chip'?

Quick reply is good. I was about to go to bed ;)

Now: The 101 may have problems acquiring sites. I haven't seen any issues so far, though I've only had it for a week. I do know that I just did a Terrain 4 cache through some nasty woods, and couldn't see the sky at all. And the 101 held the lock wonderfully for me. On the flip side, I did have it acquire the lock in clear sky.

Honestly, I couldn't find the 30x anywhere as a product I could purchase, so didn't look for info on it. As a result, I don't know what it has to help perform better.

Now, as to differences between the forerunner and the foretrex: I found a lot of forum posts that discussed it. The gist of it is that the forerunner is, more or less, a runner's watch with some gps features. You can use it for geocaching, and people reportedly have great success doing just that.

On the other hand, the foretrex is more of a straight up gps, and as such has features the forerunner does not. While I don't know the list of features, here's a link you could use that will give you entirely too much info, I'm sure:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=...amp;btnG=Search

thought I would share some research. I am now looking at the 201/205 or the 301/305 the 05 series are much more costly but do have the new chip set (see info below). Amazon.com has the following prices:

101 = $70 - no PC interface, AAA batteries

201 = $116 - serial interface - rechargable on board bat.

205 = $212 - USB interface, rech LiOn bat. training program

301 = $154 (with HR monitor) - USB

305 = $267 or $336 - yeah.... everything.

For $154.00 the 301 is looking pretty good..... any of you have an opinion - it won't have the new chip, but Montana is pretty wide open spaces....

I might have problems in my marathon (Paris in April) but if I don't know my pace by then I'm lost anyway :)

the SiRF Star III chipset is a pretty big innovation in the GPS world, as it is a dramatically better performance for getting a GPS signal from satellites and getting you a location on your GPS. The 3 key advantages of the SiRF star III chipset are 1) Faster fix times, 2) High sensitivity for better locking of satellite signals in tough areas like under dense foliage or in urban canyons of sky scrapers, and 3) Low power drain for longer battery life.

I have had the 301 for a year or so. Love it. Has been great in all of my running endeavors and training.

Just started geocaching and have found that the 301 works just fine.

I went to an event recently and found that I was able to enter coordinates as fast if not faster than most others with traditional GPS units.

When looking for a cache, I find that the 301 has led me within 15 feet of every cache (and leads me in a circle in the spot I am suppose to be). I have been happy.

The only downside (which I think the 305 deals with) is that it does not have an electric(?) compass, so you have to be moving to get a direction. If the 305 has that, I would lean that way.

Also the 305 is not as wide. Because of the width of the 301, I have snapped it off my wrist 2 times (popped out the strap post - like what holds a watch to the watchband) when I put my hand to the ground and leaned against it. Usually while climbing on rocks....hasn't been a major problem though.

I paid $300 or so for mine and $135 for my g-friends.

HashCacheAZ

101 = $70 - no PC interface, AAA batteries

201 = $116 - serial interface - rechargable on board bat.

205 = $212 - USB interface, rech LiOn bat. training program

301 = $154 (with HR monitor) - USB

305 = $267 or $336 - yeah.... everything.

Whoa, the 101 doesn't have a PC interface? Guess I'd better stop uploading/download waypoints to it then!

Sorry, my sarcastic streak (which is at least as wide as I am tall) came out. Yes, the 101 does have a PC interface, but the cable is separate, costing $15. I know, because I have it, and I use it, and am even working on a fairly long article on paperless caching using it. Hopefully, to be posted in the next month.

Foretrex and Forerunner are different products.

If I remember the matrix, Foretrex 101 has a PC interface and Forerunner 101 doesn't.

When discussion products in the forum, PLEASE be careful to describe what product you're talking about. For example, a "Magellan 300" could be a "Magellan RoadMate 300" or a "Magellan GPS300" which have essentially nothing in common.

Hi, I've been using a Garmin FR301 for about a year. Main use is for running but then got introduced to geocaching.......

It can be a little tedious to enter the Lat/Long of a cache but once that's done it works well. The USB is great I always download to the PC and can recommend SportsTracks over the software Garmin supply. The newer Garmins may be better since the GPS is more sensitive. Certainly in wooded areas I have at times lost signals. Good luck.

off-GPS talk

If you're training for a certain pace in the marathon (rather than to simply finish) then I highly recommend a heart-rate monitor for training. Eventually you'll know your heart rate within 2-3 bpm just from feel. It is really helpful to know that you're working as hard/lightly as you're supposed to be. You are following a training plan, right? :D

Good luck!

simply finishing is of course an oxymoron when discussing marathons

Hmmmm. pdx marathon man.....I looked at that race, but I grew up in Lake Oswego, and my family is still all over Portland..... Plus, at this point I am bribing myself to do another marathon - yeah, Paris will do it. I am following Hal Higdons plan again on this marathon.

I just got my 205 today, it's charging for the first time (needs at least 3 hours), and I am reading the manual so I can go to work on it tomorrow moroning. I'll post here after the first day's use and then in a few days after I get to try it out a bid.

Hi all,

i have a 301 forerunner. I am an avid runner but would like to spice up my runs with a little geocaching. Can someone please be so kind as to help me with some instructions to get started. please assume i know nothing about geocaching and gps. Cuz I dont. and I'd like to learn how to upload cache data onto my gps so i can start looking for caches. please help. Thanks all.

Ev

I picked up a Garmin 201 for $50 off of Craigslist. I am quite happy with it except that it needs to be outside for 3 or 4 minutes to acquire lock, then it works pretty well for pace, stopwatch or guiding to caches. I just got into geocaching and would like to get a unit for my wife that can be worn on her wrist is good for logging hikes, walks and can download waypoints. Any suggestions?

I picked up a Garmin 201 for $50 off of Craigslist. I am quite happy with it except that it needs to be outside for 3 or 4 minutes to acquire lock, then it works pretty well for pace, stopwatch or guiding to caches. I just got into geocaching and would like to get a unit for my wife that can be worn on her wrist is good for logging hikes, walks and can download waypoints. Any suggestions?

I have a Garmin Forerunner 201, how about one of those for your wife? I received mine from DH for Christmas and truly love it. It fits my wrist very comfortably and is extremely easy to see, both indoors and outside. I turn it on and set it in my office window pointing at the sky for a couple minutes until it aquires the satellites then I strap it on my wrist and head out. I use it to record my workout time, distance, and speed/pace. It can even calculate calories burned or do multiple laps during one workout. You can download free software from Garmin that allows you to connect it to a computer (via serial port) and upload your workout data to your pc. The only thing I don't know, because I never researched it, is if you can download waypoints into it from a computer -- but entering them manually is very easy and it seems to have ample waypoint storage room given it's intended purpose of being a training device.

I powerwalk several miles a day, five days a week and use it to track my workouts. If your wife caches, never fear, I found my first (and unfortunately due to my schedule my only) two caches with it! It worked great but I do need to tell you that they were suburban caches. One was a P&G near my office and the other was in a local park, so I didn't have lots of tall buildings or tree coverage to worry about. It led me dead on (within 5 feet) to the cache location both times.

It also does a good job of navigating when you're working out (or whatever). You can tell it to "track" you then when you reach your destination tell it to "track back" and it reverses your route and leads you back to where you started. When you approach a turn it beeps at you (but alas not very loudly) and flashes "turn ahead" on the screen with an arrow pointing in the direction you need to go as it counts down the distance until the turn.

I'm a total newbie to GPSr's but in my novice opinion it did a good job of getting me where I wanted to go. I entered the coordinates for the caches I did and just walked in the direction the arrow was pointing while it counted down the distance. I'd just check the display every so often to see how far I still had to go in that direction and where I needed to turn. One note, you can't put additional maps on it so you'll have to manually compenstate for obstacles like buildings, trees, etc. that are in your path, but when you go around something the arrow that guides you keeps up with you quite well.

After my first two cache finds I decided that I enjoyed the sport and wanted a unit with dedicated caching features so I bought a Garmin handheld to use for caching. I plan on using them both when I do my next couple caches to see how the two compare. That is if I can ever figure out how to use the new handheld, THAT one intimidates me.

Please forgive me if this reads too much like a Garmin advertisement but I really and truly do enjoy my litle 201 and wanted to let you know how much fun I have with it. I think your wife will enjoy one too. :)

I don't know the difference between the fortrex and the forerunner. From the other posts, it looks like the 101 series has problems acquiring sites... does the 30x have a better 'radio' or 'chip'?

I have a Foretrex 101 that I bought just to use as a fancy pedometer. I don't know where you heard about them having problems getting a lock because I can get a 3D lock with mine while its laying on the kitchen table, and a friend has a 76 that wont do that. It will keep a lock most of the time while its laying on the car seat. I was told the only difference between the 101 and the 201 is the 101 will use AAA batteries which is what I wanted.

I was in our local Aldi store the other day and they had a couple of 101s left for $69.95

Okay, I have had my 205 for a few months now and it has been great. There are times in the basement at work getting ready to go run that I couldn't get a lock, but have had o problems when outside. Having an accurate history has been great - when I run a route more than once I can see improvement. Plus, using Motioin Based, you can plot your course, it will 'play' your run, and also show it on Google Earth.

The device is good. It charges easily, is simple to set up and works reliably - a great purchase and prices are dropping (Amazon.com)