virtual discovery?

flask

Well , ya know.. If they are holding your coin and showing it to other people. Those people have a right to discover your coin. I don't think you should delete there logs. That was the purpose of the discover feature. They did discover your coin. The issue of the person holding your coin and not sending it to another cache should be what your problem should be. I think you should address that with this person. Do not hold the problem agaiinst the persons discovering the coin.

I know what you are thinking..... Discover coins should be in caches. I do not agree. I have discovered coins at events and then the coin go from there to caches. I think you should let the logs be...

C_H

if someone is holding one of my coins and allowing people who have never see it to discover it, can i delete those logs?

Yeah. That's virtual logging. If the coin holder is showing the coin to people then that's fine, but if people are logging it who have never seen the coin then delete the logs.

Well , ya know.. If they are holding your coin and showing it to other people. Those people have a right to discover your coin. I don't think you should delete there logs. That was the purpose of the discover feature. They did discover your coin. The issue of the person holding your coin and not sending it to another cache should be what your problem should be. I think you should address that with this person. Do not hold the problem agaiinst the persons discovering the coin.

I know what you are thinking..... Discover coins should be in caches. I do not agree. I have discovered coins at events and then the coin go from there to caches. I think you should let the logs be...

C_H

The problem with your argument is that he did not say they were discovering it. The guy who has it now is giving the # to people who haven't seen it. THUS they did not discover it at all.

C_H

The problem with your argument is that he did not say they were discovering it. The guy who has it now is giving the # to people who haven't seen it. THUS they did not discover it at all.

I did not catch that, sorry. I fully agreee that you should delete these logs if they are virtual logging. Where is the coin at this time?

You know, seriously, what's the harm of a few discovery logs. It seems like it's not worth the trouble and negative feelings it would generate if you go deleting the logs. In the past, it bothered me because there wasn't a "discovered" option and it created false movement logs but that is no longer an issue. If it does really bother you that much, I would email the people and explain why you want them to delete their "discovered it" log entry. That way, the people that agree with your reasoning will do it, and the ones that don't, well, they are playing a different game. I think deleting someone else's logs in the end will just generate ill will and I don't think that's a good idea.

--Marky

You know, seriously, what's the harm of a few discovery logs. It seems like it's not worth the trouble and negative feelings it would generate if you go deleting the logs. In the past, it bothered me because there wasn't a "discovered" option and it created false movement logs but that is no longer an issue. If it does really bother you that much, I would email the people and explain why you want them to delete their "discovered it" log entry. That way, the people that agree with your reasoning will do it, and the ones that don't, well, they are playing a different game. I think deleting someone else's logs in the end will just generate ill will and I don't think that's a good idea.

--Marky

well, of course there are valid concerns here. i have no objection to people who have actually seen the coin discovering it, but i think (and you will notice that i am not certain) that the current holder is allowing virtual logs because he used the trem "virtual log". i don't mean this ironically; i think it's possible that he said "virtual" and maybe we do not have a mutual understanding of the term.

what i object to is his holding of my coin and letting others log it without seeing it, and in a larger sense i object to his holding my coin in his collection even so he can show it to others and allow them to log it.

if he wants one of those coins for his collection, he can buy one for himself. i released it because i intend for it to circulate.

although a few discovery logs do no real harm, i do not wish to reward the behavior of hanging onto my coin by allowing it to happen. i realize there's a risk that the current holder will simply not release my coin at all, but i think his intent is to share the coins with others.

i am aware that some peole consider it acceptable to log discoveries with coins they have not seen, but i do not wish for this to be possible with one of my coins.

i have sent a couple of emails to the holder, and he responded quickly and politely up until i asked him to release the coin so it can be found in the wild.

"discovering", while I don't get it, is perfectly acceptable given that you've actually seen the coin. If you haven't seen it you haven't "discovered" it. The harm is that people that may not know any better will continue to build a habit of doing so and angst will invariably rear its ugly head, so why not cut it off early?

First you had to find a coin in the wild to log it, then you could find it at an event in a binder and log it, then you could just "discover" it at an event, do we really want to encourage the next step to be the famous print outs with all the numbers on them? Yes, it's already there, but at this point virtual logging is not allowed and if people want to keep coins coming to events to see I would make sure it stays this way.

i am aware that some peole consider it acceptable to log discoveries with coins they have not seen, but i do not wish for this to be possible with one of my coins.

Some people may consider it acceptable, but it is not, that is not a matter of opinion, but fact per the rules.

You are absolutely right Flask an even bigger issue here is that someone has taken someone else's TB/coin hostage!

(Mind you this is all assuming that the OP is actually talking about true virtual logging where the coin has not been seen)

well, of course there are valid concerns here. i have no objection to people who have actually seen the coin discovering it, but i think (and you will notice that i am not certain) that the current holder is allowing virtual logs because he used the trem "virtual log". i don't mean this ironically; i think it's possible that he said "virtual" and maybe we do not have a mutual understanding of the term.

what i object to is his holding of my coin and letting others log it without seeing it, and in a larger sense i object to his holding my coin in his collection even so he can show it to others and allow them to log it.

Perhaps the first thing should be to email the person that logged it and ask where they got the number for the coin. Maybe there is a good reason its being logged. Or maybe they will confirm that the person holding it is giving out the number (something they shouldn't be doing right??).

And of course if they don't respond then you shouldn't feel bad about deleting their questionable looking entry.

i think thats cheezy. if the people didnt actually find the coint hey shouldn't log it, if the "found" it by someone who already has it showing it to them then it doesnt really count cause they didnt have to work for it.

i see alot of people around here passing around coins just to get the little logo ont he page. i think its pretty cheep. whats the point if everytie you see the logo you know you never actually found it.

I'd ask the coin holder to move it on, then delete all the logs from people who saw it while they had it