Memory Map Overlay - on ipaq

sfab

When I export my cache overlay to my ipaq 2790 it work fine for a while and then complains about a file sharing violation on the overlay file. Stopping and restarting the program causes the message 'an attempt was made to access an unnamed file past its end' to come up. MM then works but the overlay does not display.......any ideas B) (the overlay is for all uk caches but thats because I get about a bit)

When I export my cache overlay to my ipaq 2790 it work fine for a while and then complains about a file sharing violation on the overlay file. Stopping and restarting the program causes the message 'an attempt was made to access an unnamed file past its end' to come up. MM then works but the overlay does not display.......any ideas B) (the overlay is for all uk caches but thats because I get about a bit)

Doubt your PDA will handle 13000+ waypoints.

Everything will slow down and eventually crash as you've found out.

Try limiting it to around 500 caches.

You need to filter using GSAK and select the areas and cache types that you are interested in etc.

Your PDA needs updating at least once a week anyway as cache information changes constantly and caches get archived etc.

Cheers

Dave

We l-o-o-o-ng gave up keeping lists of all caches as they change so frequently. Agree with the Mars Bars, but limit the number further to just a few dozen in the area you plan to visit and download them from GC.COM as late as possible prior to your trip so you have the very latest info (even then you can be caught out by people who delay logging for various reasons). We do this with both caches and trig points and it works OK.

I still maintain a full UK DB on GSAK, however people often get confused about the nature of PDA's they are what they say a "Personal Digital Assistant". They are not a full blown PC/Laptop.

Use them for what they are... a convenient way of carrying information with you for day to day tasks... including caching.

I agree if you are able it's great to download up to the minute information but I usually go caching when the opportunity arrises and it's usually a dash out of the door or something to do whilst waiting around when I'm away from home. So for me having all bases covered is quite important.

I gather the full UK DB over the course of a week and update my PDA once, maybe twice a week.

Using a selection of filters I download unfounds 30m around home minus puzzle caches as they are usually false coords anyway, Motorway mayhems and then do any other filters for places that I know I am headed to over the next few days... these I will usually keep to 5-7mile radius of my hotel etc.

The resulting caches for all the above filters I apply a user flag to and then finally filter for all user flags before exporting the csv file for MM and HTML files.

This usually gives me around 500 caches on my PDA at any one time.

The Ipaq flies with this amount of waypoints on...clicking on the icons brings up the offline html page....

Cheers

Dave

You are right I want to down load everything as to be selective I would need to learn how to use GSAK properly!! I spent the money going paperless to avoid computers...I guess I will have to force myself to put the time into learning the technology, to have more/better caching in the future, thanks for the input :)

You are right I want to down load everything as to be selective I would need to learn how to use GSAK properly!! I spent the money going paperless to avoid computers...I guess I will have to force myself to put the time into learning the technology, to have more/better caching in the future, thanks for the input :)

Going paperless will save you using your printer and buying ink cart's but as you now know it won't help you avoid computers in any way at all, if anything you will be more embroiled in the wonderful world of gadgetry etc... that some of us enjoy...sometimes...when it works !

Sorry

Dave

I had a similar error once with 700 caches in my overlay, when MM crashed. I renamed the old version of the overlay and that worked (although the HTML links were stuffed). I now export the overlay twice from the Pc so that the old version is a duplicate of the current one if it happens again.

I get the same error from time to time. The annoying thing is that is usually fails after a prolonged time of use, when I'm nowhere near my PC. I've followed MM's recommended path of checking for MM and ActiveSync upgrades, but I generally just get different errors. Now I just go straight for the drastic option and delete the overlay file. As soon as you run the next export it warns you the file doesn't exist, and promptly creates a new one for you. Maybe the secret is to regularly close MM down cleanly using "Exit" and then restarting to keep the memory reasonably clear.

I had a similar error once with 700 caches in my overlay, when MM crashed. I renamed the old version of the overlay and that worked (although the HTML links were stuffed). I now export the overlay twice from the Pc so that the old version is a duplicate of the current one if it happens again.

Good idea and one that I will take on board next time I export from MM to Pocket Navigator.

I get the same error from time to time. The annoying thing is that is usually fails after a prolonged time of use, when I'm nowhere near my PC. I've followed MM's recommended path of checking for MM and ActiveSync upgrades, but I generally just get different errors. Now I just go straight for the drastic option and delete the overlay file. As soon as you run the next export it warns you the file doesn't exist, and promptly creates a new one for you. Maybe the secret is to regularly close MM down cleanly using "Exit" and then restarting to keep the memory reasonably clear.

I also get this sort of thing happening from time to time if I am using Pocket Navigator without a live feed from a GPSr. If it has a constant feed it behaves nicely all day.

Cheers

Dave