Magellan Explorist 600 vs. Garmin GPSMap 60CSx

tastom

I'm considering buying a second unit, and I am now in the evaluation process. The last two, I am considering are the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx and the Magellan Explorist 600.

I heard only the best references for the CSx, but it has a major backdraw, as my mapping software is not compatible with it (MapSend and Swisstopo) This would imply that the my actual, expensive software is useless and that I would have to buy again expensive mapping software.

I haven't head a lot about the Explorist 600. I am especially interessted in field reports about the sensitivity of the receiver. How sensitive under difficult conditions is the TrueFix®-technology versus the SiRFstar III receiver of the CSx?

If I have to spend twice as much for a CSx (incl Topo-maps), I want to be sure that the Explorist 600 wouldn't be an as good and valuable choice.

Please advise, thanks!

Thomas

Edited by tastom

I have heard lots of good about the 600. I may be wrong but I dont thing the 600 autoroutes as well as the csx but if that is not an issue then the 600 sounds like your best bet.

I'm considering buying a second unit, and I am now in the evaluation process. The last two, I am considering are the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx and the Magellan Explorist 600.

I heard only the best references for the CSx, but it has a major backdraw, as my mapping software is not compatible with it (MapSend and Swisstopo) This would imply that the my actual, expensive software is useless and that I would have to buy again expensive mapping software.

I haven't head a lot about the Explorist 600. I am especially interessted in field reports about the sensitivity of the receiver. How sensitive under difficult conditions is the TrueFix®-technology versus the SiRFstar III receiver of the CSx?

If I have to spend twice as much for a CSx (incl Topo-maps), I want to be sure that the Explorist 600 wouldn't be an as good and valuable choice.

Please advise, thanks!

Thomas

It wasn't clear to me which MapSend program you are using with your Plat. Some MapSend programs are compatible with the Explorist series, and some aren't. As long as you are sure you can use your existing software with the Explorists and money is an issue, I would stick with the 600.

The same goes for SwissTopo, which I know nothing about.