Foretrex 101 Question - Entering coordinates

carolnbarney

Folks I realize this is probably one of those questions that you folks who have been around this for a while will roll your eyes to the ceiling on and say what planet did that *&&^^%% come from.

But..........

My friend has loaned me his Foretrex 101 to let me experiment with. I know the first thing somebody is going to say is ask the friend what to do. But, I'm not all that sure he would know either. He bought it, used it sparingly and had it packed away when he loaned it to me.

Anyway, I'm sitting here wanting to try to find my first cache with it and find I don't really know how to enter the coordinates from a cache that I picked out from geocaching.com

My friend didn't remember what he did with the manual so I downloaded a copy of it from the Garmin site. I've read and it would seem that the way to do it would be to mark a waypoint and then go back and edit the coordinates to match the cache I want to find. I didn't find a way to just enter the coordinates without doing that. But when I try to edit them, the available numbers don't go high enough.

Example:

The cache I'm wanting to try is GCW2VJ.

The listed coordinates are N 35deg 40.791 W 080deg 27.971

When I try to edit, I can do fine until I get to the number to the right of the decimal point in the listing and the numbers on the Foretrex only go as high as 5 on both coordinates.

What am I doing wrong? I've sit here this afternoon and have tried and tried this with no luch. I've read different parts of the manual, but no luck.

I realize it's probably something that I am not doing or not doing right, but dang it I don't know enough at this point to realize what it is.

Help!!!

Right off, my guess is that the GPS is set to the wrong coordinate format.

You want the unit in Degrees Minutes.Minutes

It sounds like the unit is in Degrees Minutes Seconds.Seconds

I dont have my foretrex 101 handy to tell you the exact menu options, but memory serves, its under the SETUP menu, under coordinate format or something similar.

Right off, my guess is that the GPS is set to the wrong coordinate format.

You want the unit in Degrees Minutes.Minutes

It sounds like the unit is in Degrees Minutes Seconds.Seconds

See page 47 of the PDF manual from the Garmin site. As CS stated, sounds like the unit is in a different position format (dd.ddd ?).

Also, make sure it is set to WGS-84 data (pg 48 of the manual).