Category possibility; Pick your own food

Maybe similar to Berry Picking -- but less specific?

Looking at the detailed description, it looks like it is close but not quite.

I'm thinking of established farms or orchards not wild. It does look like the berries category does allow for pirvately owned locations, so I guess it would include a farm. still the same conclusion, no berries.

I'm thinking of established farms or orchards not wild. It does look like the berries category does allow for pirvately owned locations, so I guess it would include a farm. still the same conclusion, no berries.

Sounds like a good one, I'd be interested in participating.

:anitongue:

Hmmm. Well, it brings us back to the question of general vs specific in category creation. Seems odd to have a general category that includes everything EXCEPT one particular type within that category. Why not exclude Fruit Orchards as well? Or maybe Herb Gardens? Why just exclude Berries?

As I recall we ran into the same issue over National Parks. The proposal was for a category that would include all national parks EXCEPT U.S. National Parks. There are other seemingly illogical categories, shuch as Moveable Bridges which EXCLUDES Horizontal Lift Bridges.

Why should one specific type of something be in category separate from the larger group? There seems to be on logic to it -- just the haphazard way in which categories are formed -- who gets what first and how they want to divide up the pie. I think this dis-organizational structure is very confusing, esp. to those who may be new to Waymarking and are trying to make sense out of it.

I'm not being critical here, just descriptive! And, I'm sure I don't have a good solution, either. I guess we can't tell the owner of Berries that the category is now a variable under a broader category of self-harvesting sites. But, I guess if the broader category were created first, then a proposal for Berry Picking Sites would be out of luck?

Good category, though!

Hmmm. Well, it brings us back to the question of general vs specific in category creation. Seems odd to have a general category that includes everything EXCEPT one particular type within that category. Why not exclude Fruit Orchards as well? Or maybe Herb Gardens? Why just exclude Berries?

As I recall we ran into the same issue over National Parks. The proposal was for a category that would include all national parks EXCEPT U.S. National Parks. There are other seemingly illogical categories, shuch as Moveable Bridges which EXCLUDES Horizontal Lift Bridges.

Why should one specific type of something be in category separate from the larger group? There seems to be on logic to it -- just the haphazard way in which categories are formed -- who gets what first and how they want to divide up the pie. I think this dis-organizational structure is very confusing, esp. to those who may be new to Waymarking and are trying to make sense out of it.

I'm not being critical here, just descriptive! And, I'm sure I don't have a good solution, either. I guess we can't tell the owner of Berries that the category is now a variable under a broader category of self-harvesting sites. But, I guess if the broader category were created first, then a proposal for Berry Picking Sites would be out of luck?

Good category, though!

I see the question and I was the one that created the world national parks that was to exclude the US Parks. It ended up that they get waymarked twice. Maybe I'll go with that here too because the berry picking includes wild locations and I don't plan to.

The basic issue of your post still is not addressed for future instances though. Something the PTB need to look at.

I see the question and I was the one that created the world national parks that was to exclude the US Parks. It ended up that they get waymarked twice. Maybe I'll go with that here too because the berry picking includes wild locations and I don't plan to.

My inclination would be to not exclude berry picking and allow for potential multiple logging of a particular waymark. Especially since, in this case, the overlap doesn't appear to be complete -- there may be berry picking marks that aren't appropriate for the new category -- I'd be inclined to let it go and not exclude berry picking from the new category.

The basic issue of your post still is not addressed for future instances though. Something the PTB need to look at.

Yeah. A lot of future instances might be able to work in the "just submit waymarks to multiple categories" solution, but is that what we really want to do as a general rule? I can see good arguments on either side of that question.

The category got approved. I wanted to take the advice of one of the comments that said the category name was confusing and I now agree. I want to change the name of the category to "Pick-Your-Own Farms"

That is a change that the PTB need to do. Thanks for the comments.

All done.

Thanks