iPAQ H2200 PDA worth upgrading to Windows V5?

dogastus

I have an H2200 PDA running Windows Mobile V4.2, I use mostly Cachemate, TomTom V5 and MM with it.

Has anyone had any experience of updating to Windows Mobile V5? I just wondered if it would cause a lot of hassle. As far as I know, the new version doesn't lose your loaded programs when the battery goes flat. That would be a big step forward!

Would be interested in any comments...

I have an H2200 PDA running Windows Mobile V4.2, I use mostly Cachemate, TomTom V5 and MM with it.

Has anyone had any experience of updating to Windows Mobile V5? I just wondered if it would cause a lot of hassle. As far as I know, the new version doesn't lose your loaded programs when the battery goes flat. That would be a big step forward!

I put WM5 on my ipaq 2410, Tomtom v5 doesn't work on it (think you need 5.2), I cant get my bluetooth laser keyboard to work with it either. Flashing the ipaq was a bit diconcerting as immediately afterward the unit wouldn't boot up and just kept displaying a white screen, but I just left it alone for a bit and it sorted itself out.

WM5 seems slower than whatever the old version I had was, I don't know the spec but if your unit has a low processor speed (think mine is about 550mhz) then you might want to look into it further before upgrading as you may find it painfully slow.

I hardly use my pda so can't really tell you much more about it, it looks pretty and I did notice there is now a built in gps app which does the same sort of thing as gpsgate, so you can send your gps output to several applications at once.

I put WM5 on my ipaq 2410, Tomtom v5 doesn't work on it (think you need 5.2), I cant get my bluetooth laser keyboard to work with it either. Flashing the ipaq was a bit diconcerting as immediately afterward the unit wouldn't boot up and just kept displaying a white screen, but I just left it alone for a bit and it sorted itself out.

WM5 seems slower than whatever the old version I had was, I don't know the spec but if your unit has a low processor speed (think mine is about 550mhz) then you might want to look into it further before upgrading as you may find it painfully slow.

I hardly use my pda so can't really tell you much more about it, it looks pretty and I did notice there is now a built in gps app which does the same sort of thing as gpsgate, so you can send your gps output to several applications at once.

Thanks for your comments which were just what I was looking for. The 'gpsgate' feature would be handy but I don't think I would like to trade speed for that - Microsoft update needs more processing umph? Surely not :laughing:

I did upgrade the firmware from 1.0 to 1.1 and the unit appears to be more reliable. I'm not sure if that was a placeibo effect or real (can PDA's feel a placeibo effect?).

I think in view of your comments, I'll leave well alone.

We had the older version of Windows on a previous PDA and it was very good. We bought a new PDA (IPAQ 2790) which had V5 installed and it's been nothing but trouble.. and it is significantly s-l-o-w-e-r than the old version. This is backed up by comments on various forums. A major problem was the handling of the memory card slots with batteries going flat overnight. HP produced a patch which helped that, but the thing is still very slow. We would not recommend you switching..

We had the older version of Windows on a previous PDA and it was very good. We bought a new PDA (IPAQ 2790) which had V5 installed and it's been nothing but trouble.. and it is significantly s-l-o-w-e-r than the old version. This is backed up by comments on various forums. A major problem was the handling of the memory card slots with batteries going flat overnight. HP produced a patch which helped that, but the thing is still very slow. We would not recommend you switching..

Thanks for the comments, Birders. Well I can see a definate concensous emerging here! I have since, resisted the temptation to "upgrade" and instead I've been fettling with my existing setup. I've re-installed some applications onto the SD card to free up more memory. I've added GpsGate and can now run TomTom, MM and Cachemate concurrently with them all getting data from the CF GPS module. I did have issues where it needed a soft reset after every switch off/on cycle but, since upgrading to v1.1 firmware, it seems to be behaving.