Bookmark Options

jennielynn

I have some bookmarks that I've created, and I'd like to show on my profile, because I'd like people to see what I'm up to, or thinking about. However, I don't want them to show up on every listing for everyone to see. As I understand it, the listing has to be both public and shareable in order to display on my profile, but that also displays it on the listings.

Why then, are there two separate options that have to both be checked for one or the other to do something? Am I missing some functionality here? Here's what makes sense to me...

Shareable - viewable by everyone (from your profile page)

Public - viewable by everyone (on the listings)

I think that you should be able to have one without the other. You shoudl be able to list on your profile without havin to list on the bookmarks. Or maybe Public should depend on Shareable, but not the other way around. If you want to display them on the individual listings, you have to display them in your profile.

Am I missing something? Does this make sense? Is this the right place to make an enhancement request?

When you select "shareable" it shouldn't show up on the cache page except to you. It will say "My Bookmark Lists" rather than "Bookmark Lists by jennielynn" if you choose public. Is that what you're seeing?

I see it under "My Bookmark Lists" no matter what option I pick. I see it under "Bookmark Lists" only if I select both options, not if I just select shareable or public.

What I'd like is to have it NOT show up on the listing under "Bookmark Lists" but have it show up on my profile under "Bookmark Lists" if that makes sense.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like having two options that you have to check in order to see any change is redundant. I'd like to see one option display it on your profile, and one option display it on the listing, so if you choose both it will show both places.

Shareable - viewable by everyone (from your profile page)

No thanks. I may want to create a bookmark that I only want to share with a few people. I don't want it accessible just by viewing my profile.

The way it works now is just fine. If you want to let others know about your bookmarks, but not have them show up on the cache pages, then just put links to your shared bookmarks on your profile page. Problem solved.

No need to be rude. I didn't think about that being an option. As far as I could see, there wasn't any difference between those two options, which is why I posted asking what the difference was.

Is the same link that I use to View my lists the link that someone else would use? For example, I go to my bookmark lists, and I have an [Edit] and a [View] link, does that View link work for people who aren't me then?

What about a third option then?

Shareable - viewable by others if they have the direct link

Profile - viewable by everyone (on your profile)

When you select "shareable" it shouldn't show up on the cache page except to you. It will say "My Bookmark Lists" rather than "Bookmark Lists by jennielynn" if you choose public. Is that what you're seeing?

I see it under "My Bookmark Lists" no matter what option I pick. I see it under "Bookmark Lists" only if I select both options, not if I just select shareable or public.

Right, because it's your bookmark. Doesn't mean the rest of us can see it though. If you set it as shareable and public, it will display twice.

Here's what I see when I have it set to both shared and public:

publicshareableyl1.jpg

Here's what I see when it's just shared:

shareableeb0.jpg

Since it's just shared, and not public, it doesn't show up on the cache page, except to me. That's why it says "My Bookmark Lists"... the other says "...by robert" when it's public, so people know whose list it is.

Hope that helps.

Edited by robert

Yeah. I think what I really want is maybe a third option.

Shareable - viewable by others if they have the direct link

Profile - viewable by everyone (on your profile)

Maybe some day. For now, at least I think I understand the difference.

Edited by jennielynn

OK gotcha, I see what you're saying.

Prime's suggestion is probably your best bet then, just make the links on your profile page (the main part, not under the bookmarks tab) if you'd like to share them. Otherwise you'll have to make do with what's available for now.

:D

I support the OP's request. My example: I would like my bookmark list of Unresolved DNF's to show up on my bookmarks tab on my profile. But, I do NOT want it to show up on the cache pages for the many many caches I've DNF'd. Cache owners might take offense and that is not my intention. I just want people to be able to read the funny stories if they are so inclined.

It is harder to make a hyperlink, and people look at the bookmarks tab to see what bookmarks are offered, so why not put it there.

I agree, but was vague when I said "for now". :D Maybe there would be a check box that says "Display under bookmarks tab on your profile" or something similar. Even if it's on your profile page, people may miss it since they'll go directly to the bookmarks tab... but in the meantime putting it there wouldn't hurt.

Now we just have to be ready for the posts asking how to get links on their profile to their shared bookmarks.