Mapsource

MNSearchers

We had recently went on vacation and the night before we left we had heard that there was an update for mapsource. Well, we hook up one of our gpsr units to our laptop and follow along using our laptop as our gps while on the road. Then when we get to a cache site, obviously we unhook the gpsr and use that. But anyways, we now noticed the next day when at our destination that the new mapsource no longer at the GPS tracking? And of course hubby did not bring along the old mapsource installation cd. So we couldn't use Mapsource at all? Why did they take away the GPS tracking on the upgrade? We thought this was a silly move as isn't this one of the biggest points of mapsource besides the great topo's? And maybe its just something we don't have checked but believe me, i checked the mapsource help file and could find NOTHING about the GPS tracking. Does anyone know anything about this? :)

We luckily had my new inspiron laptop with which i had just purchased using streets and maps with a receiver I got with that package. Is there anyway you can get good topo maps for like mapsource uses for streets and trips? I really liked S & T but it just wasn't as good (topo wise) as mapsource. Thanks in advance for your answers.

Yep, Nroute works fine and it's a free download from Garmin. I'm not sure why they split it out, but I have used it and it works great.

You also mentioned you were looking for good topo maps. I use the National Geograhpic Topo State maps on my laptop. That software is about the most detailed Topo software you can get and it supports active routing with your GPSr and laptop.

The only drawback is the price since you have to buy it for one state at a time at around $99 a pop.

On the subject of nRoute... does anyone have it working with a Delorme Earthmate GPS? Can't get nRoute to recognize it on the USB port. The GPS works fine with Street Atlas on the same computer, same USB port.

nRoute expects the data to be in Garmin's proprietary format instead of NMEA. Something like GPSGate will convert the data on the fly to get this working for you.