GPSBabel

Paulsan

Would someone be kind enough to explain to me how to use GPSBabel to send .gpx files to a Garmin 60CSx? What file format am I to be converting the .gpx files too? I'm using OS 10.3.9. Thank you in advance.

After you are done converting a file with GPSBabel (if this is what you're using it for) simply send your .gpx file directly to your 60CSx using MapSource, or my favorite, GSAK. No need to do anything else.

Actually, webscouter, your instructions were just fine for Mac, Linux, Windows, or anyplace else GPSBabel works. (That's sort of the point of me having the SAME code on more than one OS. :-)

If you're using one of the GUI wrappers, the placement of the buttons may vary a little, but the punchline is very much the same: Output type "garmin" and select an appropriate serial port or usb device.

Well, duh.

I figured out the problem. I was running an old version of MacGPSBabel. I kept getting a usb_setup_config error. You guys said it would work and I figured that was good enough. The problem had to be something I was doing. Obviously it was.

Thanks a lot guys.

Edited by Paulsan

If you can be be more specific (are you saying it works with PQ/GPX and not LOC?) perhaps we can help.

Robert sorry it took awhile to get back but I was out of town. This is the message I get when I try to connect with GPSbabel

GPSBabel was not able to process your selection.

Please fix and try again.

[Error] XSerial: Cannot open serial port '/dev/cu.USB': eNo such file or directory

[Error]Cannot open serial port'/dev/cu.USB'

GARMIN:Can't init/dev/cu.USB

I have been able to connect with "GPs Connect0.2" but I can only upload files out of the Etrex it will not recognize .loc files. GPSbabel does recognize .loc files but does not connect with Etrex. Hope this makes some sense.

Run it again, this time open the Log window (Windows menu), set eveything up and click the Send GPS button. It should record the command it's trying to execute in the Log window. Click the Copy to Clipboard and either past it in a reply, or PM it to me.

Thanks!

That is the message I get when I set it up in QuickGPSbabel. I select the .loc file as input, USB serial port, and Garmin as output. When I click the "Send GPS Button" I get the error message I posted. I apprecite the help thanks.

Yes, but I would like to see the log information, it has more detail on the error. I just can't reproduce your error as I actually do the exact same thing as you are trying to do and do not have a problem.

Now, I will say there was a bug like the one you are seeing, but it was fixed in the current release version. And you said that you were using the current release version, so I need to look deeper. The log will help me.

Thanks.

I am sorry I did not understand what you were asking.

This is the message I got in the log window.

EXECUTE-> /Applications/GPSBabel\+/gpsbabel -w -i geo -f /Users/Shared/Hold\ It/geocaching\-1.loc -o garmin -F /dev/cu.USB Serial

ERROR CODE-> 256

ERROR MSG-> [ERROR] XSERIAL: Cannot open serial port '/dev/cu.USB': êNo such file or directory

[ERROR] Cannot open serial port '/dev/cu.USB'

GARMIN:Can't init /dev/cu.USB

Thanks for your patience.

I am sorry I did not understand what you were asking.

This is the message I got in the log window.

EXECUTE-> /Applications/GPSBabel\+/gpsbabel -w -i geo -f /Users/Shared/Hold\ It/geocaching\-1.loc -o garmin -F /dev/cu.USB Serial

ERROR CODE-> 256

ERROR MSG-> [ERROR] XSERIAL: Cannot open serial port '/dev/cu.USB': êNo such file or directory

[ERROR] Cannot open serial port '/dev/cu.USB'

GARMIN:Can't init /dev/cu.USB

Thanks for your patience.

I'm very much the noob at all of this but I just have to ask if you are sure you're using the latest version of GPSBabel? That was my problem with the USB error thing.

I'm very much the noob at all of this but I just have to ask if you are sure you're using the latest version of GPSBabel? That was my problem with the USB error thing.

I am using GPSbabel+ 1.0.0 I downloaded from this site I guess it is the newest version for Mac. I have found a app. link2gps which is working alright so I have been using it.

I am using GPSbabel+ 1.0.0 I downloaded from this site I guess it is the newest version for Mac. I have found a app. link2gps which is working alright so I have been using it.

This actually looks like either a driver or configuration problem on the mac. OS-X is BSD-unix derived and unix device drivers create a filename entry to move data between devices and applications. When the named file is written to, it goes to the a device instead of a disk file, when read, it reads from the device instead of the disk. These device-file entries are kept in the /dev directory. The error you are getting implies that GPSBabel is not finding the device filename for a generic communication unit (cu) for USB. It may be looking for the wrong device file name. the name may be something like /dev/ttyUSB0.

if you open a command shell and type "cd /dev" then "ls *USB*" you should get a list of all the usb devices known to the system. make sure the GPS is connected and turned on.

If you can be be more specific (are you saying it works with PQ/GPX and not LOC?) perhaps we can help.

Robert sorry it took awhile to get back but I was out of town. This is the message I get when I try to connect with GPSbabel

GPSBabel was not able to process your selection.

Please fix and try again.

[Error] XSerial: Cannot open serial port '/dev/cu.USB': eNo such file or directory

GARMIN:Can't init/dev/cu.USB

I have been able to connect with "GPs Connect0.2" but I can only upload files out of the Etrex it will not recognize .loc files. GPSbabel does recognize .loc files but does not connect with Etrex. Hope this makes some sense.

It doesn't even know what a usb port is. ;)

It's very confusing to have multiple questions in the same thread. The OP was asking about a 60CSx on Mac. I just attached a 60CSx to a Mac via USB, selected a PQ of type gpx int he input win, set output options for "use gps receiver", port for "usb" and clicked 'send gps'. Some seconds later, the GPS showed completion and the waypoints were there.

So I don't know how you can say it doesn't know what a USB port is...

If you have a problem, please be very specific about what OS and hadware is involved. Provide any steps needed to reproduct the problem and the versions of any software involved. Especially in light of the broken quoting above, I just can't make enough sense of this thread to help much.

It's very confusing to have multiple questions in the same thread. The OP was asking about a 60CSx on Mac. I just attached a 60CSx to a Mac via USB, selected a PQ of type gpx int he input win, set output options for "use gps receiver", port for "usb" and clicked 'send gps'. Some seconds later, the GPS showed completion and the waypoints were there.

So I don't know how you can say it doesn't know what a USB port is...

If you have a problem, please be very specific about what OS and hadware is involved. Provide any steps needed to reproduct the problem and the versions of any software involved. Especially in light of the broken quoting above, I just can't make enough sense of this thread to help much.

Error] XSerial: Cannot open serial port '/dev/cu.USB': eNo such file or directory

It says "Cannot open serial port '/dev/cu.USB': eNo such file directory". It thinks that USB is the name of a serial port.

There's not enough information there for me to reproduce that.

If you had a serial GPS with a serial/USB driver that presented the dev node to the OS as "/dev/cu.USB" (not entirely impossible) and that device driver was failing the open, that would not be an entirely expected sequence of events. But since we're talking about a 60CSx, why would you involve a serial/USB adapter in this process instead of using the much faster (and less grief) real USB?