sending waypoints from ppc to garmin gps

Kwitzats

if there are any tech savy geocachers out there i could really use help.

i have a garmin gps map 60csx, ipaq 2215, the serial cable attachment for 60csx and a serial to ipaq cable with charger input. I am using gpx sonar, gsak, and have tried g7towince.

i have custom waypoints loaded into my gps to make organizing my search easier from a map screen on my gps but what i really want to be able to do is have all my gpx files on the ppc and be able to upload them by proximity to my gps i travel alot and never seem to have my laptop available when i have time to cache, tried the poi loader and is a adequate solution but only being able to see the caches at a paticular zoom is really annoying besides the invisible background color doesn't work either. is there any way to do this and it would be really nice to be able to use the custom icons by type and status in the upload as well. I hear rave reviews of cachemate but no one seems to mention this capability. help pleeeeease!

Edited by Kwitzats

No one who has stopped by in the last 3 1/2 hours knows, anyway.

I use a PPC and a Garmin Geko 201. I use GPXSonar to manage my caches on the PPC and I have used g7toce to load waypoints into my GPS. It works reasonably well.

The Geko doesn't have mapping or POIs, so I don't know anything about that.

I take it that a POI is somehow different from a generic waypoint?

I use a PPC and a Garmin Geko 201. I use GPXSonar to manage my caches on the PPC and I have used g7toce to load waypoints into my GPS. It works reasonably well.

In the past i have had very little luck with g7toce but i was using rino 120 then i'll try with my 60csx

In the past i have had very little luck with g7toce but i was using rino 120 then i'll try with my 60csx

POI (points of interest) are the resturants gas station attractions etc found on the mapsource maps.

with a custom poi loader on x series garmins you can load caches as pois with 30 characters of info onto the memory card not gps internal memory allows you to load bazillion waypoints instead of the 1000 supported by the gpsr, however they dont show up except at a particular zoom on the map and the custom icons dont have background transparency.

well i finally got g7toce to work ironically it reads garmin output and not nema. Also if you load a gpx generated from gsak it will not alter the icon setting so customs will show up on the gpsr if not g7toce itself. Now my only issue is generating customised gpx exports on my ppc based on proximity from a huge gpx file of the total caches in gsak. gpx sonar wont do ,does anyone know if cachemate will work for this?

You can set filters in GPXsonar and export the result to another gpx file. Then use g7toce to upload the new gpx to your garmin.

Another thing I've done is to use GSAK to generate several smaller GPX files and store them in the PPC before I leave home. Then I can load the appropriate gpx into the gps as needed, once I'm in the field.

You can set filters in GPXsonar and export the result to another gpx file. Then use g7toce to upload the new gpx to your garmin.

Another thing I've done is to use GSAK to generate several smaller GPX files and store them in the PPC before I leave home. Then I can load the appropriate gpx into the gps as needed, once I'm in the field.

Thanks for the suggestion I haven't tried using sonar to export gpxs guess i'll have to play with it some more just hope it keeps the same icon settings as the original gpx from gsak (i like my custom icons).

You can export gpx from the pocket pc version of cachemate.I dont know if it will keep custom icons or not.(I doubt it but I dont have the cables to test right now)You can set the center point in cachemate to whatever the nearest cache is then sort by distance.When you export gpx files it allows you to set how many records to export so you can set it foe the closest 100 caches or whatever.Looks like I nees to get the cables and do some testing for myself

You can export gpx from the pocket pc version of cachemate.I dont know if it will keep custom icons or not.

What the GPS upload plugins support is mapping symbols based on record type. They're separate downloads, but yes... CacheMate for PPC and Palm OS will handle uploading to Garmin and Magellan receivers over an RS232 connection.

You can export gpx from the pocket pc version of cachemate.I dont know if it will keep custom icons or not.

What the GPS upload plugins support is mapping symbols based on record type. They're separate downloads, but yes... CacheMate for PPC and Palm OS will handle uploading to Garmin and Magellan receivers over an RS232 connection.

Thanks it looks like i will have to invest in cachemate