GPS FOR $200?

gunpowder

Wife is interested in upgrading from the Magellan Explorer 200 to a model that she can download maps and especially caches to. We are paperless and do searches by nearest method but we want to be able to go down the road and have the GPS tell us there are caches near. She was looking at the Gold at Wally World and then read about the Platnum. Friend has the SportTrac.

I have a Garmen 12 XL with all the extra options (External antenna, etc). It is a tough cookie but I was interested in the 60Cseries eventually. But that is another purchase later as it is her birthday.

She is not fullu comitted on Magellan as well. Just dosen'tt want to spend $300+ for the GPS and saw one at Wal-mart. She is big into Ebay with a store so I assume she would go used with the right options.

Anyway... Looking for options on best GPS in the $200 range.

Garmin Etrex Venture Cx goes for $200 and currently has a $50 rebate. For $115 you can get the optional mapping software to take advantage of the unit's auto-routing capabilities, or $155 for the navigatin pack that includes the software, dc adapter, and two types of mounts (windshield and bean bag). You also have to come up with a USB cable and media card. Or get the Legend Cx for $240, which includes the USB cable and a 64mb card.

Getting her a Garmin might make the most $ense, as you both could use a single mapping software program. They allow two user licenses per program, with the option to buy additional licenses if you upgrade your GPS. Magellan's is limited to one unit per software package...and their newest versions even require two or more GPS units to also have their own dedicated computer.

The Meridians are good models, and have several capabilities not found in the explorists. On the downside, they have a grainier (if larger) display than the Explorist, they're larger to carry around, and they're discontinued models.

The Meridians are good models, and have several capabilities not found in the explorists. On the downside, they have a grainier (if larger) display than the Explorist, they're larger to carry around, and they're discontinued models.

I assume the Gold, Sport Trac Plus, et al are lines that are being discontinued? Being teplaced by the ExploristSeries (1oo thru XL)? Wally World just lowered the Sport Trac Plus to $150 but the Gold is still $199. I assume the discontinuing because GPSonline.com shows "out of stock" on all but the Explorist line.

Anyone confirm this?

The Meridians are excellent GPSrs with full features, great receiver and a good file system using SD cards. The eXplorists have a better screen, as good or better receiver, and an improved file/memory system that is the best of any GPSr.

People have recently reported the eXplorist 500 for under $200 after rebate. Not sure if this price/rebate offer is still good, so it may take some checking. At this price it is a great value.

We have an explorist 210 and just love it. It has the ability to load the maps you are talking about. What Embra says about sharing the software between two Garmin's makes a lot of sense. However, if you only had one GPS unit, I would say run, don't walk to buy a 210. We love ours and with the outdoor bundle, for about $180 it was the way to go for us. Happy Caching!

I will again put my vote in for a Lowrance unit. I think you can get more bang for the buck with this brand. They don't hook up directly to the computer but use an sd card to hold the info and maps. Look into the specs and if you aren't wanting color you can get a lowrance ifinder h20 for under $150

I will again put my vote in for a Lowrance unit. I think you can get more bang for the buck with this brand. They don't hook up directly to the computer but use an sd card to hold the info and maps. Look into the specs and if you aren't wanting color you can get a lowrance ifinder h20 for under $150

And if you get theiFinder H20 Plus, you can have mapping software along with the memory card and card reader for around $220. Its a great unit and a good deal of bang for the buck. Most other units with the mapping software will run you $300 and up.

Garmin Etrex Venture Cx goes for $200 and currently has a $50 rebate. For $115 you can get the optional mapping software to take advantage of the unit's auto-routing capabilities, or $155 for the navigatin pack that includes the software, dc adapter, and two types of mounts (windshield and bean bag). You also have to come up with a USB cable and media card. Or get the Legend Cx for $240, which includes the USB cable and a 64mb card.

FYI, The SportTrac Plus is now $125 at Walmart but We are now not very interested as my wife's laptop doesn't have a serial port.

I was reading a thread discussing problems with the Venture CX/Legend CX/Vista CX loosing signal under trees.

How does the Higher Explorist line handle the tree areas? How about Lawrence..same questions.

Edited by gunpowder

The Garmin V Deluxe is a great WAAS GPS. Handheld & waterproof (3' for 30 min) does autorouting too - will work great on the dashboard. I bought one new for $500 in Dec 2003, but while searching for a StreetPilot, found an authorized Garmin dealer on eBay (Radioworld Canada) selling several models of Garmin overhauled (refurbished) models with FULL warranty from Garmin including ver. 8 (ver. 8 came out Aug 06) street mapping software w/ entire US & Canada unlock code. "But It Now" price for the Garmin V Deluxe is usually $170 + $20 shipping & insurance. As mentioned earlier, the Garmin ver. 8 software is licensed for use on up to 2 units. I bought a Streetpilot 3 from this dealer and had zero problems and loaded the software on both of my Garmin units. I'm very happy with the unit and have told several friends about them - the 2 that bought from them also had no problems. Check out the Garmin V Deluxe - regardless of who sells it.

Good luck!