Neato Inspection Mirror

Outspoken1

Hey fellow cachers:

While reading other posts on suggested geocahcing equipment, a extendable/retractable mirror was suggested to peer into obscure locations to make sure there are no critters (snakes, rodents, etc). I was in Auto Zone (Denver, Colorado) today and at the cash register where they have all the little tools there was a pocket sized extending/retractable 1" inspection mirror for $2.99 (SKU # 231411 2520B Inspect Mir) that will fit just great in my Geocaching Pack. It is like the pocket-sized magnetic pickup tool, but with a small round mirror instead.

Take care,

Sandy

I have a mirror similar to that. Comes in handy for looking on top of high things, and sometimes under low things.... and behind places where your head just doesn't fit. It's much nicer to actually _see_ that wasp nest before you go poking it with your finger. :lol:

Edited by DocDiTTo

Hey fellow cachers:

While reading other posts on suggested geocahcing equipment, a extendable/retractable mirror was suggested to peer into obscure locations to make sure there are no critters (snakes, rodents, etc). I was in Auto Zone (Denver, Colorado) today and at the cash register where they have all the little tools there was a pocket sized extending/retractable 1" inspection mirror for $2.99 (SKU # 231411 2520B Inspect Mir) that will fit just great in my Geocaching Pack. It is like the pocket-sized magnetic pickup tool, but with a small round mirror instead.

Take care,

Sandy

I've got one of those, but found it's pretty worthless, because the mirror is so small. Instead, I found this:

imagerequestnr2.jpg

I've got one of those, but found it's pretty worthless, because the mirror is so small. Instead, I found this:

imagerequestnr2.jpg

I have exactly that unit as well, sitting in my car's glove compartment. (For Canadian-folk, you can get them at Princess Auto).

Ironically, I have not yet had to use it for geocaching ever since the one cache where I wished I really had one, but it has come in handy for other things, including once when I bought a beautiful brand new guitar only to discover it was defective. The store guy was trying to convince me it was normal and that I should keep it. He didn't have anything to examine the inside of the guitar with, but when I brought him my mirror, he was able to clearly see the cracking wood inside.

Aw; just stick your arm in there up to the shoulder. What's the worst that could happen?

Man, when I think of all the times I've done just that, and what could have happened, it makes me shudder. The mirror is a good idea; one small and another a bit larger would be necessary for some of the hides around here. What would be better still - an articulating mirror with a tiny flashlight attached to the top!

Aw; just stick your arm in there up to the shoulder. What's the worst that could happen?

Well, there is a thread on this forum about me getting bit by a skunk and going through the rabies shots!!

I have the same mirror shown by the OP. I also now have an old motorcycle round mirror that is about 3" diameter with a slight wide angle view that is now mounted to my hiking staff. Makes it very nice for checking out holes and under things because I don't have to get down close to use it. I can check out a hole from about 4 feet. (just out of skunk range) Another use for a small mirror is that you can reflect sunlight into dark areas or holes. Works better than a flashlight.

While grocery shopping a while ago I passed the cosmetics counter in the grocery store and noticed the compacts. The face powder didn't interest me, but the 2 inch mirror did. While looking at them I also noticed one that didn't have any face powder in it, only two mirrors, one a regular mirror and one a magnifying mirror. Just the thing for geocaching! :)

It comes in handy when looking for micros attached to benches. Just sit on the bench, open the mirror and palm it in your hand and sweep your hand around. Muggles don't notice anything unusual. (At least not any more unusual than normal for a city whose motto is "Keep Austin Weird!" :)B):huh: )

Happy Geocaching,

Backwards Charlie from Austin