Flying with GPS..check it or carry on given recent security changes

dazdarren

My last flight was the day before the incident happened in Brittain. I had two GPSs - one for street navigation and one for caching - as well as the wire/windshield mount for one, and a camera, a Palm, and chargers for these devices as well as the charger for my phone. I figured if someone X-Rayed my bag and saw all the circuit boards, wires, batteries, etc. they'd flip out, so I brought it all in my carry-on bag. The security folks checked the devices out - I had to turn both GPSs off after they were done, but I got through security unmolested.

I use mine all the time when I fly. It's especially nice on long flights, when the captain seldom gives updates on position. I find I can only get a signal if I have a window seat, and I hold the device right up to the window for a while. I've never had anyone give me problems with it. Be aware that it is prohibitied on certain airlines (such as American), but most airlines I fly couldn't care less. It's a lot of fun to look at your handheld and see something like "528 MPH" and "36409 FT".

How about an airline-by-airline report? For instance, Continental is OK with GPS's on the same basis as other electronic devices (it's in their magazine)o once at cruising altitude.

OK, American allows you to take them with you, but it doesn't allow you to use them when in flight. They treat it like a cell phone for some reason. Considering that you can't lock your luggage, I wouldn't put mine in checked, I just put it in the laptop bag and carry it on with me. I've only flown once since I got my first handheld GPSr, and it was event-less. As an earlier poster mentioned, it is hard to get a signal so you probably won't really do much more than waste your batteries if you turn it on.

I've flown 3 times since the changes, including the day the arrests were made in the UK, and I haven't had a problem with my GPSr or any of my electronics. Put it in your carry on.

Interesting sidebar..... I work for Energizer and we're starting to hear some rumblings that TSA is considering a limit on the number of batteries you can have in your carry-on or checked luggage. There is no word yet on what the limit might be, if any. Many of my co-workers have a legitimate business reason to carry a large number of batteries (i.e. customer samples). I've flown with as many as 4 dozen on a single trip. This could put a crimp on some of our business practices. Depending on how low the number is, it could also be an issue for the everyday cacher who travels.

It could be worse. I have a friend who is a sales engineer for a firm that makes wire harnesses. He's always getting pulled aside for the extra inspection when he has prototypes in his bag.