FIrst Cache

neiljsalkind

This is my first cache and thanks for all the help. :wub:

I have the coordinates for the cache entered and the point appears on the map. Now the question is what is the best tool to find the cahce - just follow the map's pointer or and/or use the "compass"? Hope this makes sense. THanks - Neil

I usually set a "goto" for the waypoint, use the "map" screen to get into the general vicinity, then use the "compass" screen to home in on GZ. Sometimes, I've used the initial screen on my Magellan to see the coordinates where I am and compare them with the posted ground zero coordinates for the cache. YMMV depending on what GPSr you have and what screens you have available.

This might help along with some of the other FAQs

http://www.geocacher-u.com/101/index.html

I used the navigation (a.ka. compass) screen about 90 percent of the time. Make sure one of your data fields on that screen is distance to destination so you know how far it is.

I do switch to the map if I have some questions about which route to take. I have Mapsource Topo on my unit which is helpful in that respect.

Like most, I'll use the map (US TOPO) while driving, zooming as I get closer. Then I switch to the arrow to get the accuracy of the digital display. I have mine set to display Bearing, Distance to GZ, Accuracy, and speed, which I seldom use. Just remember that when you get within 30 or 40 feet, to start looking with your eyes! :(