Hide cache on your property?

Im starting to plan where to hide my caches (I'm pretty new, so I don't have hundreds hidden like most of you :blink: ).

I would love to be able to watch people as they look for my cache, and the only way I can think to do that is to hide in on/near my property.

However, this seems like it could definetly have a downside.... such as people I don't know coming and going all hours of the night, strangers knowing where I live, and all other things they warn you about in Lifetime movies.....

On top of that... cachers may feel weird going on private property to look for a cache....

So I was wondering what other cachers do, and if they place caches on their property as well?

We personally don't have any caches on our property, but if you're going to place a cache on your property that would look like private property to Joe Cacher, you should probably say on your cache page that it is on private property but that you have permission to hide it there. I think, in general, cachers respect private property and would not enter unless they knew it was OK. You don't necessarily have to admit that it's where YOU live.

Im starting to plan where to hide my caches (I'm pretty new, so I don't have hundreds hidden like most of you :blink: ).

I would love to be able to watch people as they look for my cache, and the only way I can think to do that is to hide in on/near my property.

However, this seems like it could definetly have a downside.... such as people I don't know coming and going all hours of the night, strangers knowing where I live, and all other things they warn you about in Lifetime movies.....

On top of that... cachers may feel weird going on private property to look for a cache....

So I was wondering what other cachers do, and if they place caches on their property as well?

Lots of threads about this topic already.... to sumarize: If you don't want people hunting late at night, put that in the writeup. Don't hide the cache in such a way that people might end up hunting in the wrong yard. Many people will pass over a cache in a yard, just because they're not comfortable hunting for it. Don't make it too hard or uncomfortable.

Tell your neighbors about the cache, and that strange people might be hanging around hunting for something. Better you tell the neighbors than the neighbors call the police.

Before you just hide a cache in your yard, you might want to consider WHY you're bringing people to your yard. Just so you can watch them hunt? Most people don't like that. To meet new folks? Some people like that, some don't. Dogs usually don't welcome cachers... do you have any? Do your neighbors? If the cops saw someone finding your cache, would they be suspicious? Do you want complete strangers coming onto your property? Does your spouse?

There are quite a few caches hidden on private property, some done well and some... not so much.

Do you have public property close by? In most town the small patch of grass between the sidewalk and street belongs to the town. This may be a better alternitive than placing a cache on your front doorstep. I hid one across the street in an undeveloped lot (my wife wanted to meet some of the crazy people :wub: I talk about when caching.)