When you find a geocoin, do you

Camping Mumma

Hi everyone,

Since I'm a relative newbie to geocache, I have a quick question for you all.

I noticed that on the very first coin my family and I tried to locate, the coin was not in the cache. I kept my eye on the cache's log book for the past two weeks hoping that someone would log the coin's whereabouts.

Finally I noticed today that the coin was logged, but the finder never logged (online) the cache. The cacher found the coin about 4 days before we went looking for it. I wished the cacher had logged their find in a more timely fashion. :huh:

So what is the proper etiquette? Log both the coin & the cache or is it up to the cacher's discretion?

TIA ;)

In my opinion, they should log both, and make note of the fact they picked up the coin from the cache in the log book.

You said it! I can't stand it when someone takes a coin without logging it. Chances are a lot of other people will be heading out to the cache just to get the coin - so it is important to log it (on line and on the physical cache log) so folks know it is gone.

Whew. I vented!

Tiki

I triple that. It is very important to log both the cache and the coin, if one is taking the coin. Naturally, if one leaves the coin there, whether "discovering" it or not, then you won't log it out. But it is rude, IMHO, if one takes a coin (or a Travel Bug) and doesn't log it at the same time that one logs the cache. Which is not to say that we have always been perfectly punctual! :huh: But we do try.

I log all TB as fast as I can most of the time within 24 hours but sometimes people are caching on vacation and they dont have access to a computer.

When I log a move of a TB, I use the WAP access on my phone... this way someone that might be coming just after me can pick it up at their leisure.

I log all TB as fast as I can most of the time within 24 hours but sometimes people are caching on vacation and they dont have access to a computer.

Exactly, you can even write in the logbook your on holiday in that area. The problem also exists when you drop a Geocoin/TB and you are not able to contact internet. And when it takes too long (several weeks) you can always contact the cache-owner to move the coin/TB to location unknown.

Back to your question:

So what is the proper etiquette? Log both the coin & the cache
Log both ;)