TB Missing from my cache

markp99

Should I remove the TB (not mine) that has gone missing from one of my caches? How would I do it? Shoud I just leave it (though, I hate visiting caches that say they have TB's & coins and they do not).

I contacted each of the 5-6 logged finders since I placed the TB in the cache myself a few weeks ago. They all kindly responded that they did not grab the TB. Looks like its gone missing.

I did notice a name in the paper log who did not log his find online. His paper log did not mention a TB. Should I attempt to contact this guy?

Suggestions?

Its nice that you are going through all this trouble, but it really isn't your job to track down a missing TB. As the cache owner you can go to the bug page and select "mark bug missing". That will get it out of your cache.

Yes not his job it should be everyone’s.

Ok that was a little to far but I think it nice that as a cache owner tries to make sure that TB that pass through are accounted for. Last thing he probably wants is his cache to become a place where TBs vanish from all the time.

Its nice that you are going through all this trouble, but it really isn't your job to track down a missing TB. As the cache owner you can go to the bug page and select "mark bug missing". That will get it out of your cache.

Yes not his job it should be everyone’s.

Ok that was a little to far but I think it nice that as a cache owner tries to make sure that TB that pass through are accounted for. Last thing he probably wants is his cache to become a place where TBs vanish from all the time.

Hey, I used to frequent Sparta, Wi. for training at Ft. McCoy. Unfortunately, that was long before geocaching existed. :D Yes, I think it is nice of this owner to check on TB's that pass through his cache. I do the same often, including checking paper logs. True, I've never contacted the last five finders, that is definately above and beyond the call of niceness. If you can come up with a user name, sure, try to contact the paper log only cacher. Worked for me once for an account who had never logged an online find, and the TB was recovered.

But ultimately BrianSnat is correct, and none of this is your responsibility. If nothing happens, you, the cache owner, or the TB owner (and no one else) has an option on the TB page (while logged into geocaching.com) to mark the TB missing.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

1st thanks for actually keeping an eye on whats going on in your cache personally I would leave it there for a few weeks incase a cacher is on the road and just hasent logged it yet. After a few weeks I would email the owner as inform them that its missing if they dont mark it missing I would so that future cachers dont get false hopes of finding somthing that is indeed not there.

TJ

Should I remove the TB (not mine) that has gone missing from one of my caches? How would I do it? Shoud I just leave it (though, I hate visiting caches that say they have TB's & coins and they do not).

I contacted each of the 5-6 logged finders since I placed the TB in the cache myself a few weeks ago. They all kindly responded that they did not grab the TB. Looks like its gone missing.

I did notice a name in the paper log who did not log his find online. His paper log did not mention a TB. Should I attempt to contact this guy?

Suggestions?

If it's been more than a couple weeks then yes you should remove it. Make sure to post a note on the bug clarifying that it has been confirmed as missing from the cache and should it resurface the bug it can be pulled back out from an unknown location. (The bug owner doesn't get notified of the 'mark as missing' action.)

Should I attempt to contact this guy?

I would. No harm in asking.

(And I would certainly appreciate it if someone did it for my bug. How likely is it I could get to the cache to check the log myself anyway?)