What should I do? (adopting)

wicked77

A couple months ago I emailed a cacher about adopting one of his caches. I often go to the general cache location so it would be easy for me to check on it and the cache is in need of serious maintenance. The owners haven't been caching since 2003, and hadn't even logged in since 2005, but I noticed the other day that they had logged in last week. I left a note on the cache page itself a couple months ago (in addition to the email I sent) asking him to contact me, but so far nothing.... He only has 3 caches hidden, one having been disabled, so I don't think it's a case of not noticing my email. I'd love to adopt this cache, or at least replace it, but I don't want to step on anyone's toes. The cache is still being found occasionally, but the log book is constantly damp or soaked and there are crappy, rusty things inside, as well as musty/mouldy smells... Even if I couldn't adopt it, I'd like for it to be replaced with brand new things and get ppl out to the cache site.

Just as a side note, this is kind of a rural caching area so caches aren't typically found on a daily basis. It isn't too uncommon for a cache to go unfound for a couple weeks (or even a month if it's difficult), but this one hasn't been found since May and I think the fact that it's in bad shape is throwing ppl off. No one wants to leave TBs in there etc. Should I try leaving a "Needs Maintenance" log? Should I email again and this time include the option of just replacing the cache for them? It's actually needed some maintenance since a couple years ago but no one has actually posted a NM log. This cache is in a great location and it would be silly to start another one up nearby if this one could be fixed up. I also don't understand the rules of archiving ~ does a cache only get archived when the owner feels like it? I understand how the non-consentual adoption works and I was considering it, but seeing as the owner logged in the other week I don't think I'd want to go down that route and tick a bunch of ppl off. Advice?? :anicute:

You are correct; a non-consensual adoption would not be processed under the circumstances you've described. Your options include:

-- continue your efforts to persuade the owner to adopt the cache to you voluntarily

-- fix up the cache yourself if the owner refuses to do so, and award yourself "enabler brownie points"

-- place a "needs maintenance" log, and if that doesn't produce results, a "needs archived" log

-- if the cache gets archived due to lack of maintenance, hide your own cache in the same general area

Not much you can do. I asked to adopt a vacation placed cache which was over 1000km from the owners home, it was placed five years ago and he has never returned. He did one find in three years and last on here a year ago. He has four hides and 20 finds. The cache was in real need of maintenance. He declined my offer to adopt or ship new swag, log and container which I would place. He was okay my offer to replaced it with new swag and a log in an ammo can which I did as my bit for the game.

If you would like to adote the cache you can always get in touch with local reviewer and ask him/her if you can adopt the cache. I did an adoption of a cache that way. The reviewer posted a note to the cache and after 10 days owership was transfered to me. I had tried emailing the owner but the email bounced back to me. The cache was in sad shape for 2 years and the owner had ingored emails and logs that the cache was wet and slimy.

After putting a new container and new swag the cache has been visited often. Dont feel you are stepping on toes if you want to save a cache by adopting it. If the owner wanted to take care of it I would assume they would have done it before now.

Just my .02

If you would like to adote the cache you can always get in touch with local reviewer and ask him/her if you can adopt the cache. I did an adoption of a cache that way. The reviewer posted a note to the cache and after 10 days owership was transfered to me. I had tried emailing the owner but the email bounced back to me. The cache was in sad shape for 2 years and the owner had ingored emails and logs that the cache was wet and slimy.

After putting a new container and new swag the cache has been visited often. Dont feel you are stepping on toes if you want to save a cache by adopting it. If the owner wanted to take care of it I would assume they would have done it before now.

Just my .02

As I posted above, that option will not work here because the owner remains active. The options are voluntary adoption, archival or status quo.