More Than One GPSr

ADKcachers

I have carried two on the cache hunt itself only when learning about different GPS and trying to decipher their differences. It didn't take me long to figure out that trying to get two units to coincide is a shortcut to insanity.

I do carry my old GPS as a spare in my car, and often loan it out to newbies or to cachers that join our group on the spur of the moment and don't have theirs.

I have my new GPSMap 60CSx dash-mounted, and sometimes use it to get close, then carry my Meridian Platinum on the trail.

Ed

yes, quite often.

meriplat and eX600. I usually do it to see the differences, but most often, the two units agree on where the cache is, distance, speed, etc.

Under normal conditions I use the plat to autoroute to the cache, and the 600 to hit the trail.

I upgraded from my first receiver a couple of years ago and it has sat idle ever since. I can't think of a reason to bring more than one with me.

I tend to think that two sets of coords would be more confusing.

A man with two watches never knows the correct time.

I use to run around with two Rinos 120. So technically, that doesn't count, right?

Recently picked up a 60Csx, so now I take three GPSR's with me.

Plus the Palm Pilot and BlackBerry.

I'm such a nerd. :P

Edited by ekitt10

I upgraded from my first receiver a couple of years ago and it has sat idle ever since. I can't think of a reason to bring more than one with me.

I tend to think that two sets of coords would be more confusing.

A man with two watches never knows the correct time.

I use to run around with two Rinos 120. So technically, that doesn't count, right?

Recently picked up a 60Csx, so now I take three GPSR's with me.

Plus the Palm Pilot and BlackBerry.

I'm such a nerd. :P

We're toy junkies! I didn't mention that I also carry a laptop in the car with an Earthmate GPS running Street Atlas, GSAK and HTML cache pages AND a Palm Tungsten T5 in my cache bag with CacheMate and 500-1000 caches loaded!

So, on most caching trips I have 2 top-of-the-line hand-held GPS, one laptop GPS and a Palm PDA.

Hard to believe I found my first 500 or so with just an eTrex Yellow!

We're toy junkies! I didn't mention that I also carry a laptop in the car with an Earthmate GPS running Street Atlas, GSAK and HTML cache pages AND a Palm Tungsten T5 in my cache bag with CacheMate and 500-1000 caches loaded!

So, on most caching trips I have 2 top-of-the-line hand-held GPS, one laptop GPS and a Palm PDA.

I thought you said you had a Meridian Platinum? :P Just kidding.

I leave the laptop at home. A while back, a local cacher got his stolen while they were on trail.

edited to fix an irritating grammar problem.

Edited by sbell111

Quite often. I have a 60CS, MeriGold, eTrex Vista and my wife has a Geko 201. She usually brings the Geko and I toss the MeriGold in my pack and usually use the 60CS. The Vista tends to stay home these days unless I'm backpacking (I take it backpacking because of its lighter weight and small size).

I bring the MeriGold in case the 60CS has reception problems under trees, but I find that I rarely ever have to use it.

I also tend to keep the 60CS and MeriGold updated with new cache info, but because my wife usually carries the Geko in her purse or car I don't get to update the waypoints on it regularly. Because of that she sometimes uses the MeriGold, but really doesn't like it because I always find the cache first whenever I use the Garmin and she uses the Meri (she is very competetive).

I have a Vista and a Legend, both about the same so I usually only take one on the trail. The other stays in the car hooked up to my PDA w/ TomTom software for auto routing while driving. I'm planning on getting a 60CSx soon, and probably selling off the Vista. I often cache with friends though, so between us we'l have 2 or 3 GPSrs on the trail. Much better under tree cover; usually someone can get a signal.