Placing a remote Cache

Cougar21

Hi Guys,

I am based in the UK at the moment. I am coming "home" for a holiday in September and plan to place a very remote cache. This will be in a nature conservation area (no "real" dangerous animals). You need a permit to enter etc etc. Its in the Kouga Mountains in the Eastern Cape.

My parents have some property there and I have found a real interesting spot using google earth. I am guessing it will be a 2-3 day hike to get there and back.

Just wondering how far people are willing to go to find a cache? I know it wont be a very well visited cache but would anyone be willing to try even? (I know its hard to say with so little details)

Maintenance shouldnt be much of a problem I dont think?? Low visiting number plus ZERO chance of it being geomuggled. Risks would be fire or baboons..

Also any hints and tips on placing a remote cache will be welcome :(

Yes I think I would need to provide certain waypoints on how to get close.

Not sure if it will be viable to make it a traditional multi where you get clues at each point.. As one would have to know where the final location was to plan such a trip.

I hope I can even get there as it is quite a trek! Plus the recent rains might have washed all the roads away.. (although this might have cleared the valley of the thick vegitation so would be able to get there a bit easier)

Hi There

Never mine washed away roads... we just came back from placing a "remote" cache called "Point of No Return" GCY3RE (pun intended) it's just around the corner from where we live, yet it took us two days to get there :angry: leaving only in the evening we had a real adventure driving half way there and dogging all the dongas and pot holes and getting stuck in the mud, then an hours hike in moon light and to finally reach camp. Just before it we stood at a abyss of 10m deep and about 20 wide... so another d-tour through tick invested bush was on. Well the bottle of red wine tasted double as good once we had a camp fire going and were digging into our pasta bowls. The next morning it was an ascent of 1530m over just 8km. But I tell you it was worth all the sweat!!

No I wonder how long it takes for some one to get up to those 2073m and log a FTF :ph34r: I got a couple more of those remote, top of the peak caches, still waiting to be found... which is sad some how but I guess not everyone is a mountain goat like me :huh:

So go for it even if it's just for another crasy guy like me to do the trip :o

Wow awesome spot! Would love to be able to try that oneday! Doubt I will ever get a FTF though!

I arrive on Thursday and we go to my folks' place on Friday. Yet to see what the damage is. Looks like we will have to hike the 15odd KM from the main road to the house. Not sure if my parents are up for another 30km+ further. If it has flooded badly then it might be easy going along the river although if not then it will be far too overgrown.

Zoom in on -33.6809983615, 23.5879105749 (google earth coords) to see where their house is. The cache will be further north of that :P

Could actually do some nice top of peak caches there also. Unfortunately will have to wait until I come back to SA someday!

Happy caching!