60CSx issue on map screen !

Robam

I was recently traveling 2.5 hours N and had the unit lock up in about the same location traveling both directions. What I noticed on the map screen what looked like a large rectanglular box. Once there as two of them. They were rather large and seemed to be stuck to the map. Once my position hit the box it locked up. So I on/off'ed the unit and then they were behind me and rolled off the map. Has anyone else ever had a lockup due to traveling thru one?

All software/firmware is updated.

City Select v.7

1gig sandisk card

Please post any cords where this has been an issue and map soft.

I will contact Garmin and point to this thread.

Could this be a mesh issue between two map sections???

Edited by Robam

I was recently traveling 2.5 hours and had the unit lock up in about the same location traveling both directions.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Could this be a mesh issue between two map sections???

What location did this occur? I have the 60CSx w/latest firmware & SIRFware, but CN8, I'll take a look.

Hi Robam -

I have noticed this box on the I-75 business loop near Pontiac Michigan. I haven't driven near it to see if it locks my unit up but I did notice it the other day. I have the latest software and am running CN v. 8. I have a screen shot but cant figure out how to post an image here. Anyone else have this on their unit? The coordinates are 42 36.459 083 14.484

I have noticed this box on the I-75 business loop near Pontiac Michigan. I haven't driven near it to see if it locks my unit up but I did notice it the other day. I have the latest software and am running CN v. 8. I have a screen shot but cant figure out how to post an image here. Anyone else have this on their unit? The coordinates are 42 36.459 083 14.484

Just grabbed this area from CN8, downloaded it to a spare microSD, and tossed it onto my 76CSx. (How did we Garmin users ever live without swappable memory cards? :huh:). Yep, I see the ...ummm... whatever-the-heck-it-is. Blue flag is simply a waypoint at erkrupa's coords - the rectangular thing under discussion is below the waypoint flag.

erkrupa_oddity.jpg

Notes: Oddity does not appear in MapSource CNv8 at any zoom level. Shows up on my 76CSx starting at 1.2mi, disappears at 0.5 mi, reappears below 0.5 mi. Not selectable with the cursor, although POIs behind the rectangle remain selectable. Only shows up on CNv8 layer - disappears if CNv8 is hidden. Detail level must be "Less" or higher - oddity disappears with "Least" detail.

Just grabbed this area from CN8, downloaded it to a spare microSD, and tossed it onto my 76CSx. (How did we Garmin users ever live without swappable memory cards? :huh:). Yep, I see the ...ummm... whatever-the-heck-it-is. Blue flag is simply a waypoint at erkrupa's coords - the rectangular thing under discussion is below the waypoint flag.

erkrupa_oddity.jpg

Notes: Oddity does not appear in MapSource CNv8 at any zoom level. Shows up on my 76CSx starting at 1.2mi, disappears at 0.5 mi, reappears below 0.5 mi. Not selectable with the cursor, although POIs behind the rectangle remain selectable. Only shows up on CNv8 layer - disappears if CNv8 is hidden. Detail level must be "Less" or higher - oddity disappears with "Least" detail.

Yup, shows up on my 60 CSx w/CN8 as well. i think apersson850 is correct though, its a route marker. It moves about depending on the zoom level. I don't think its a 'hole' in the map. BTW I drive right past the Square Lake Rd I-75 Business loop exit twice daily and NEVER had the unit shut off there. I just think its missing the information, 'I-75 Bus' in the box.

Nice detective work here, Munin. If no one has reported this to Garmin yet, please do so. With this sort of detailed info, they should be able to figure out the problem and determine if it is a firmware issue or an issue with the map data itself.