Mapsource To National Geographic Topo

Does anyone know how to take a Track File saved in Mapsource and covert it to a usable file in National Geographic Topo? I've had NG Topo for a while and want to make a mountain bike trail map using the track file saved in my GPS and/or Mapsource. I would load the file from GPS but can't get that to import either.

I have Topo v3.4.3.

Any help or suggestions is appreciated. I hate having this huge program going to waste!

Jen

Well, this may or may not be what you are hoping for, but the latest version of this program called GPSBabel will open Mapsource files (.mps, .gdb, .gpx) and convert them to NG Topo .tpg (waypoints) files.

I've done this and it works great. It brings in your data as waypoints, but not tracks. At least as far as I know at the moment. From there you could connect the dots in NG Topo I suppose. I'll keep looking.

[edit] I just re-read your question. You can bring your GPS tracklog data right into NG Topo, I do all the time with my Map 60Cx. If you have this data already downloaded to the PC, you could upload it again to your GPSr, and then work with it using NG Topo.

Edited by Timpat

Does anyone know how to take a Track File saved in Mapsource and covert it to a usable file in National Geographic Topo? I've had NG Topo for a while and want to make a mountain bike trail map using the track file saved in my GPS and/or Mapsource. I would load the file from GPS but can't get that to import either.

I have Topo v3.4.3.

Any help or suggestions is appreciated. I hate having this huge program going to waste!

Jen

Like the other people said you should be able to just transfer it from your GPS to National Geographic with out any problems. Make sure that in the final step of the import wizard in NG you have selected to import your tracks as waypoints or as a freehand line. Also make sure you are using the same datum. I have found that when transfering data WGS 84/NAD 83 on both my gps and my software that I'm using seems to work the best. For what ever the reason some of the other datums have problems at times in NG Topo. Good luck.

I'm running version 4.2.2 which I'm pretty sure you can update yours to for free on the NG Topo.com site. I also went with the 3-D upgrade for $20 a long time ago, well worth it for that feature and updated street coverage.

Failing that, in the past version where my 60C wasn't listed, I have selected any other Garmin USB unit such as the GPS 12. That will work for sure.

I import tracks from my various GPSr units (eTrex Vista, 60CSx,...) directly to National Geographic Topo version 4. (The 3D views and streets are easily worth the $25 upgrade price.)

I've tried converting my Garmin Mapsource files to *.gpx files and transferring that way. But what everyone other program and the GPX format calls tracks, NG calls "routes" and it doesn't work right. Converting track points to waypoints just makes a bigger mess.

If I want to get a track from MapSource on my computer to National Geographic also on my computer, I oddly find the fastest and easiest way is to go through an external GPSr like the 60CSx or eTrex, by a download from MapSource, and then import it back into National Geographic from the GPSr.

You have to be careful with this approach because some of the programs GPSr units have a limit on the track points on saved tracks (see your unit's specs). But you can reduce your track points efficiently with very little loss of accuracy in the Garmin MapSource properties screen.

Edited by BigLarry

Does anyone know if the 60CS settings are similar to another GPS as it is not in the list of Garmin GPS units on the software?

Try Map 76S ...the 60,76 Series are all similar until you get to the new "x's". I just downloaded a bunch of stuff from my 76CS to TOPO! ver 3.4.3. -----Wpts,Tracks, Routes...no problems.

If you have a track that is ONLY in Mapsource and not in your GPSr, then the only way I know to transfer that track is to export from Mapsource back through your GPSr, and Import into TOPO! So first work on getting yor settings where you can transfer data from your GPSr to TOPO.

Let me know if you still can't transfer data.

Are you using USB cable transfer or Serial cable? If Serial, be sure transfer interface is set to "Garmin"

from Main menu....Menu> System>Interface>be sure Serial Data Format says "Garmin"

Edited by Grasscatcher