Waypoints

I am trying to set up my first cache. I have submitted to required form and now am being asked to mark my waypoints. It seems to me that I am repeating the info I have put on the cache page but adding a code name to the points. It is a multicache (2 parts) and I have already put the co-ordinates in for the final cache for the reviewer to see. Have I missed the point of this? Do I have to do the wayponts?

I am trying to set up my first cache. I have submitted to required form and now am being asked to mark my waypoints. It seems to me that I am repeating the info I have put on the cache page but adding a code name to the points. It is a multicache (2 parts) and I have already put the co-ordinates in for the final cache for the reviewer to see. Have I missed the point of this? Do I have to do the wayponts?

I'm afraid so. It's part of a master plan (muhaha) to put all co-ordinates described in a cache page into some sort of recognised form.

Adding them as waypoints means that when you download the cache into a program such as GSAK you can find the waypoints (parking coordinates etc) easily.

The reviewers have only requested this recently (in the last year or so), so older caches may not have additional waypoints described.

I'm not always sure of the benefit, but I can see it'd be handy in some cases, and it's not that much hassle! :sad:

Edit: by the way - I'm happy to be corrected by more 'experienced' cachers! :D

Edited by housefamily

I'm not always sure of the benefit,

The reviewers need to be able to check each waypoint of a new cache against each waypoint of any existing caches nearby (to check they're not within 0.1 miles).

If entered as additional waypoints, I suspect they have tools to check proximity automatically.

If not, they would need to trawl through the cache description and reviewer note before checking each waypoint. With maybe 150-200 Multi/Unknown caches submitted per month (in this country), I wouldn't wish this on anyone!

Now it is saying "the coordinates cannot match the parent listing"....what?

An Additional Waypoint cannot be the same as the published cache coordinates.

(see THIS THREAD)

Edit to add thread link.

Edited by MarcoXono

I'm happy to be corrected by more 'experienced' cachers!

As expected... :D

That sounds entirely reasonable. The system does seem slightly cumbersome though, with the whole prefix and code thing - not exactly intuitive! :D

I was right - it was only January. See this post by Lactodorum which might answer some questions. :sad:

Edited by housefamily

Having got used to adding the waypoints I now really like it. For instance you can keep notes about the clues etcetera with the hidden waypoints which saves a lot of time searching through old notebooks when you get a query from someone who dnf'd.

After all we can’t expert our three reviewers to be dealing with the deluge of caches we have all been submitting recently if they have to do all the checking of multi stages and puzzle cache final locations by hand. :D

Now where is that bag of micros I was just off to scatter around the city. :D:sad: