For Those Of You Who Place Geocoins In Caches

Webfoot

I am typing this message as I ready to stand back from the FLAMES.

People have talked about drilling a coin. However, I have heard of people photocopying the coin's front - back and releasing the photocopied coin as a traveler. What are the group's thoughts on this practice? Is this allowed?

Edited by Trizumi

People have talked about drilling a coin. However, I have heard of people photocopying the coin's front - back and releasing the photocopied coin as a traveler. What are the group's thoughts on this practice? Is this allowed?

Generally photocopied coins are not viewed as the real thing. That's a problem inherent to the purpose of coins, which is not to be a traveler.

Travel bugs can be one thing last year and another this week. People expect a Bad Andy coin to be a Bad Andy coin, or whatever icon.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I have picked up one of these ridiculous things. How is this a geocoin? That's like placing a picture of a cache for people to find, with a photo of the trade items. I mean, come on, there has to be a point where people take the odd risk in life.

Here's my theory: if your geocoins go missing, buy more. Isn't this the same thing you'd do with almost anything else you own? Say someone takes your car... Are you going to take a picture of your car to work with you and walking from now on? No! You're going to get back out there and buy another car and hope that this one doesn't go missing.

In summary, to each his own, but you won't find pictures of geocoins in my collection. :D Do you really want cachers all over the world posting comments letting people know how frugal you are?

We keep hearing about the photocopies ....try to list a photocopy on the e place or try to sell a new release of photocopies here in the forums....there is nothing like a real coin!

I think I am going to try this just for the sake of seeing what happens :P . I am going to list a copied coin as a kit. You get to assemble it when you receive it. The kit will include a copy of a coin, an appropriate sized air-tite, a wire tie, and a laminated card to attach to the coin :D .

Alright what coin should I use, any preferances?? And yes I am serious :lol: !

Of 16 geocoins I have in circulation as travel bugs, 8 have not been placed back in a cache during the past two months. Of those 8, two "disappeared" from the cache they were last placed in and have most likely been stolen, and one "disappeared" from an event. All of my coins were drilled and had laminated mission tags attached, so this may not be as strong as a deterrant to theft as I had hoped. One of the allegedly stolen coins passed hands three times, the other only once.

On a positive note, most cachers who have logged the coins have been very kind, posting comments about how much they enjoyed the coin and saying things like "thanks for sharing".

Until I see how things play out over the next few months, I am not placing any new coins in circulation as travel bugs.