Usb Cable For An Etrex Legend

I found this cable link on garmins web site. i see that it has 4 wires and i know that a USB cable has 4 wires.

Does anyone know of a site that explains how to make a USB cable for the etrex? or have a idea on where to start looking for the directions and drivers for one?

thanks

Edited by ducttape90210

Assuming you really mean an Etrex Legend, and not a Legend C or something, the cable needs some smarts to handle the differences in the protocols. Also assuming you don't have serial ports on your computer, you'll need a serial/usb adapter to plug the standard Garmin serial cable into. Fortunately there are plenty of them out there at reasonable prices.

I'd be interested in finding out how it is done if you figure it out.

The stuff I can find makes it seem as though some intervening protocol converter is necessary. If it's any help, Wikipedia refers you to a schematic of a serial-USB converter (see http://pinouts.ru/SerialPortsCables/usb_se...r_pinout.shtml) that might be some help. (note, that link seems not to work when I tested it, try going through here instead.

Looking around, I also noticed that some equipment (at least one Coolpix camera) has a communications port that will support both RS-232 serial and USB communications.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress

Edited by jon & miki
i believe this is the link you were trying to post http://pinouts.ru/SerialPortsCables/usb_se...er_pinout.shtml . you could make a serial to USB converter and skip the serial ports and make the into one cable.

does that make sence or no?

Yeah, I see what happened - the extra parenthesis got into the URL, glad you got to the proper link.

Your suggested approach should work, though I'm not sure what you gain by not using two cables and little of your namesake "fastener" to make it into "one" cable (or use any other method of semi-permanent attachment).

Let us know how things are progressing?

i believe this is the link you were trying to post http://pinouts.ru/SerialPortsCables/usb_se...er_pinout.shtml . you could make a serial to USB converter and skip the serial ports and make the into one cable.

does that make sence or no?

Yeah, I see what happened - the extra parenthesis got into the URL, glad you got to the proper link.

Your suggested approach should work, though I'm not sure what you gain by not using two cables and little of your namesake "fastener" to make it into "one" cable (or use any other method of semi-permanent attachment).

Let us know how things are progressing?

GPS Warehouse in the UK makes a cacble: Garmin USB Power/Data Cable - Power from USB (for eTrex)

See it here.

No need for the combo serial cable + serial2USB converter.

From their description:

Description:

Have you ever wanted to connect a Garmin GPS Receiver to your USB port but cannot because the only supplied cable from Garmin is a serial cable ?

Now you can!

This cable allows you to connect your GPS Receiver to the USB port and power it via the USB port.

ProsperoDK/René